My new hobby tropical fish :)

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@waretrop ...Barb I was keeping it all males for simple reasons plus the cleanness of the tank...the one that just died had a Gravid spot that I did notice but thought it was in her colouring and the more I over load that tank then more Algae and more water changes from the constant sh*t they do...good job I feed them every other day....now I will be looking at 10am when the light goes on plus the lights have been dimmed with plastic attachments....I told me hubby what you said about females last night and he said well you'll need 6 females in there to stop any fighting and to tell you the truth I've forgotten how many fan tailed guppies I have myself with two dying. Recount needed :whistle:

Thanks for explaining though and adding the pic's for me to see it better what your on about :)
2 males at least to every female
Kazza this is what the chap said up the Hollybush to keep them carm and with no fighting.....the females are a bit greedy in my eyes :LOL:

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
do you have any good recommendations for a good filter but for a turtle?,i have a canister one but my water is no way near as clear as yours is most days..think my tank is a just little bigger than yours but no idea on gallons
Hi Joolz, i'm with Amazon but you can buy the same filters else where and I came across this link of a person who as small turtles plus as added all this info and links plus video's to help people....view the filters on Amazon and always go for the best reviews...both my tanks had bio rings, ceramic rings and also filtration replacements with sponge and inside them activated carbon and and zeolite.

My set up is easy to keep on top as you can see from my pictures but my new tank doesn't come with bio balls but that will be altered when they arrive from amazon and if you go along this line...I don't mind helping you on how to keep on top of them :)

Small tank 20 litres

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 are you going to put any blue dwarf gouramis, platties, mollies or swords in your new tank? All are good community tank fish.
@kazza i'm not sure yet just waiting for this tank to settle it self besides my fish before I think of getting more as I don't want to over load it and @waretrop and kazza when I put the light on at 10 this morning I checked how many I have in guppies 6 fan tailed ones but lost two and Barb I checked them all for the Gravid spot and nothing....thank god :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Gail,
After watching your last video, I don't think the yellow tail is being chased anymore than it's chasing the others, they're just playing in my opinion. You should see my Danios, they race around all day chasing each other and trying to get the Tetras to join in. And they love to chase my finger against the glass.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Gail,
After watching your last video, I don't think the yellow tail is being chased anymore than it's chasing the others, they're just playing in my opinion. You should see my Danios, they race around all day chasing each other and trying to get the Tetras to join in. And they love to chase my finger against the glass.
Hi Johnny, you've just said what my hubby said only last night when he looked and when I looked he was chasing two others but those small Endlerguppies keep them on also...it's like bulling and i'm forever looking at their tails for damage and then hubby says they're fine stop worrying but the ones guppy was slightly damaged when I got home the first time I brought two but it's been a good one with stilled bottled water in the small tank, then moving to the other.

I'm trying to help Joolz as she asked me this question - do you have any good recommendations for a good filter but for a turtle?,i have a canister one but my water is no way near as clear as yours is most days..think my tank is a just little bigger than yours but no idea on gallons

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I use only the aquaclear hang on back filters, I love them for their durability, never had one break down on me, and you can really stuff them with filter media.
Cheers I'll look those up for her...i'll be on later going for my tea :)

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@kazzawazza and @johnny canoe went out today and got some filtrations for when they need changing and this morning took a sample of my water before removing 3 buckets out and re-added the same back with stresscoat / Zyme.

Reading's came in ok again so the cycle is running nicely on 3 times a week change.
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.50ppm
Nitrate 5,0ppm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 Why are you doing 3 water changes a week :unsure:

Unless you are over-feeding, have a heavily stocked tank or both, once a week should be fine. If your readings are high during cycling, you could up that to twice at 10% water removal.

Ask a Question