My new hobby tropical fish :)

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 Why are you doing 3 water changes a week :unsure:

Unless you are over-feeding, have a heavily stocked tank or both, once a week should be fine. If your readings are high during cycling, you could up that to twice at 10% water removal.
Hi Kazza, I've been doing it 3 times weekly because of it still going through it's cycle and no over feeding here ;) every 2 days and when I do it only 10% moved plus since I skimmed the kitchen roll across the top which was recommended from that link you gave me nothing otherwise mate.
I have had hubby remove the 4 Endlerguppies they was leading my fan tail guppies a dogs life :rolleyes: so the shop near we took them in and hubby came back with two lovely fan tailed guppies, so that's 8 in the tank :love:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having a mess around with my fish tank recently , I am bored can't play outside with my outdoor plants it an annual thing for me :LOL:. Picked up a few more plants yesterday from Pets at home which made it easier than buying online ( they may freeze in the post at the moment ) , did a bit of cleaning / trimming some of the plants and removed some vallis so I can plant the new plants.

I wanted some cardinal tetra but my PH isn't really suitable for them, my PH is 7.5 cardinal tetra want acid water. Its a shame really cause the water round here runs off the moorlands which are mostly peat I believe ( peat acidic ) , it then got things added to the water cause its to acidic hence why my PH 7.5 alkaline with generally soft water. I used to have neons in the past but I find them a bit boring and they dull down a lot when they get older.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Perki how are you darling :)….Perki do you have Guppy fan tails as they're beautiful in the tank and is Pets at home any good with their fish?

I bet if you dropped it to 2 water changes each week at 10% each time, there would be very little, if any difference. This is also what you did with your other tank
Kazza it's funny you on about it but brains told me to do it tonight also besides wanting to fish my tank :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Pets at Home near us. The fish are delivered on a Friday morning and are in quarantine (can’t be sold) for 24 hours, which is not long enough. I’ve been in on a Friday and seen fish with white spot and sometimes fish that are dead on the bottom of the tank. I also bought plants from them and despite washing them, a snail always managed to sneak in. Next thing you know, your tanks full of them.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Pets at Home near us. The fish are delivered on a Friday morning and are in quarantine (can’t be sold) for 24 hours, which is not long enough. I’ve been in on a Friday and seen fish with white spot and sometimes fish that are dead on the bottom of the tank. I also bought plants from them and despite washing them, a snail always managed to sneak in. Next thing you know, your tanks full of them.
Thanks for the heads up mate..i won't bother with that one :)

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 we once had an angel fish and we named him Kevin. We had him for a long time. Then one day Kevin laid some eggs on the filter box. Mmmmmm ........... Kevin was actually a female lol, so Kevin became Katie after that.
I have laughed at that mate you've made my night :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about fish . I bought some Amano shrimp off pets at home them last year which are doing well, if you have a local fish shop I would go their. I've had guppys in the past put their tails are like magnets for fin nippers . I only keep friendly fish now and defiantly nothing which may eat my amano shrimp.

I am trying to sink some more redmoor wood, its just floats around the top of the tank for ages.

I only do water changes 2-3 weeks in the past I've left it months, its a mature tank so no harm done . I need to do more frequent water changes now because the shrimp need the calcium in the water .

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about fish . I bought some Amano shrimp off pets at home them last year which are doing well, if you have a local fish shop I would go their. I've had guppys in the past put their tails are like magnets for fin nippers . I only keep friendly fish now and defiantly nothing which may eat my amano shrimp.

I am trying to sink some more redmoor wood, its just floats around the top of the tank for ages.

I only do water changes 2-3 weeks in the past I've left it months, its a mature tank so no harm done . I need to do more frequent water changes now because the shrimp need the calcium in the water .
@Perki it's the tail colours that catch my eye but I have removed the 4 Endlerguppies they did have them on the run around going at them and two off my guppies tails have been mistreated by the sw*nes :mad:
I'm just waiting for my tank to finish it's cycle but I do find adding the fish after 2wks helps the cycle better :)

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Well I wrapped up well ventured out and hubby took me the the Hollybush Cannock, brought 4 new guppies, 2 with split fan tails in blue, 1 white and another with a black tail with specks of white half way across it's tail...I did a video but I shall do another off my tablet as the colours show even better and I added to plants in @kazzawazza and @Perki

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well I wrapped up well ventured out and hubby took me the the Hollybush Cannock, brought 4 new guppies, 2 with split fan tails in blue, 1 white and another with a black tail with specks of white half way across it's tail...I did a video but I shall do another off my tablet as the colours show even better and I added to plants in @kazzawazza and @Perki

I love the colours, the arangement of the "furniture" shows a lot of artistry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The split fan tail guppies look really nice, I've been wanting some blue fish and guppies might fit the bill , surprised I didn't think of guppies earlier .

Ordered some more plants Thursday which arrived today - more java fern ( trident ) a bucephalandra which is tiny and a tiger lotus bulb. I see if I can get some pictures tomorrow, mine a corner aquarium tank with a bow front which makes it difficult to get a good picture.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom

Very colourful fish love the tails Gail, the plants look great with the furniture. :)

Ask a Question