My new hobby tropical fish :)

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe i'm going to up load one now..hubby as done with his iPhone and the colours do show and tell me if that guppy is a female as i'm supposed to have all males...i'll post it when it's done.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gail, do you have another tank? I'd hate for the yellow tail to be chased to death by the boys.
As soon as you see this video you'll know if it's a female it's still uploading and yes I do have a 20 litre which was cleaned all out yesterday and boxed and put in the loft...but where I had her from they've said any fish I can take back and when my Albions get to big before they can start attacking they'll swap for younger ones...which is good of them.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @johnny canoe checked my yellow tailed guppy out with this ID picture and my guppy is definitely a male ...thank god

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
Can i ask please @Gail_68 ,,do you have any good recommendations for a good filter but for a turtle?,i have a canister one but my water is no way near as clear as yours is most days..think my tank is a just little bigger than yours but no idea on gallons,thank you x

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Can i ask please @Gail_68 ,,do you have any good recommendations for a good filter but for a turtle?,i have a canister one but my water is no way near as clear as yours is most days..think my tank is a just little bigger than yours but no idea on gallons,thank you x
Joolz is your turtle an under water one as you can buy them here where the tanks are half land and water in the tank and it sounds like yours is an 150 litre one and it also sounds like Algea is building up....can you add a photo so I can see your tank better mate. :)

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Joolz this link is good on the best filters for turtles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
@Gail_68 The boy guppy or any livebearer, has a gonopodium. Females have a vent and no gonopodium....You can watch him using it also.....LOL They are internal fertilizing.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 The boy guppy or any livebearer, has a gonopodium. Females have a vent and no gonopodium....You can watch him using it also.....LOL They are internal fertilizing.
So i'll ask your opinion till I've read up on what you've said ….do you think my yellow tail is a female?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
The yelowtail is a male...can't you see his little gonopodium???? Guppies love to play and nip tails...the more the merrier...get more girls and no more boys...LOL That'll make the boys you have happy and keep them busy...lol

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The yelowtail is a male...can't you see his little gonopodium???? Guppies love to play and nip tails...the more the merrier...get more girls and no more boys...LOL That'll make the boys you have happy and keep them busy...lol
Noooooooo I don't want breeding...that's the last I need, if you clocked the one guppy the same tail as the other like an orange stripe it's tail was damaged when I got it home in December but it's been a good strong fish.

@Joolz is after a good filtering system for her tank a bit larger than mine for her turtle because she said it's not so clear as mine...got any recommendations knowing about them please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Why don't you want them to breed???? Look @Gail_68 ...you can't hardly have a guppy without having babies..LOL You are funny...I am having fun here...

So see my pics...You have lots of females although I can't count them for they just won't stand still for that... LOL Forget the size of the body or the color of tail....you must look for the gonopodium..You have at least 4 male...watch out for that aglea eater he is chasing the guppies and may split the tail fins which may cause others to start picking on the split.

See pics below. These are gravid spots under girls abdomens...LOL Some of your girls may have gravid spots, that is babies you are seeing there.

You can't control guppies and babies...You should just let things happen and let mother nature take it's coarse... The strong ones will survive and the lesser will feed the others..

Here is another fact that will make you think I am crazy.....READY???

All babies guppies are born girls. Most finish developing their sex in the first week BUT some take much longer...SO while some baby females haven't developed into males yet, they may become pregnant and then grow their gonopoduim. They will be called pregnant males...They will deliver the babies and never get pregnant again and will stay male for the rest of their lives...LOL

This is the truth...honesty...LOL now go look at your guppies...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 you need 2 males at least to every female otherwise the female will be stressed out with the males constantly chasing her. Then if you get babies either put them into a breeding trap and buy fry food or let nature take its course. I’ve had mollie and guppy babies in my tanks and it’s fine :)

In my last tank, an angel laid eggs on the filter box but there was no male. She used to keep rearranging the eggs, it was fascinating to watch. If any other fish came near them she’d chase them off. As there was no male the eggs just died off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
@kazzawazza I think you mean 2 females to every male...A breeding trio of most fish is only one male...You don't need many of them to do the job...LOL

Ask a Question