My new hobby tropical fish :)

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I brought the proper test kit as they reckon the strips aren't that brill.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ordered some bio balls because the filter doesn't contain them so the top will be altered at the end on the right side.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to know another member into it besides @kazzawazza who's had them before and helped me a great deal and I've picked up on it quickly but I do know something Johnny...this cycling lark before adding fish in my opinion is rubbish because after 2wks of constant testing and water changes besides washing the filtering system...I've added my fish slowly after 2wks in both my tanks and they've helped the filtration system work better...plus I only feed my fish every other day with bug bites and my hubby made me this so it helps me messure the correct amount for them lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I hear ya on that. I freaked with the water testing results when I started out. But both my tanks have been established so long now and with the huge sword plant in the one, I rarely test the water anymore. I do a quarter tank water change every three days on the bigger tank and a half tank water change on the smaller every week. Last time I tested the water just after Christmas the was zero nitrates. I struggled with over feeding when I started, they always seemed so hungry. lol

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I hear ya on that. I freaked with the water testing results when I started out. But both my tanks have been established so long now and with the huge sword plant in the one, I rarely test the water anymore. I do a quarter tank water change every three days on the bigger tank and a half tank water change on the smaller every week. Last time I tested the water just after Christmas the was zero nitrates. I struggled with over feeding when I started, they always seemed so hungry. lol
I did join a tropical fish forum and left right alone to many contradictions from different members and enough to do your head in...so I did some reading besides kazza helping me...I was feeding them daily at first and found it sent the levels slightly higher so now every two days.
Like you've said every 3 days of water change and a monthly vacuum out.

Your allowed so much nitrate levels though...until it goes to high....you seem on the same level as myself go with more of the flow of what your own knowledge is telling you ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Oh I changed the lighting in the big tank after Christmas and the result was an algae bloom. Hate that. I bought 4 baby otocinclus to take care of it but only one has survived. They are all wild caught and suffer a lot of stress and from a lack of algae before being brought to their forever homes. I knew that before I bought so am really not upset at the loss. The one survivor has a full round little belly and is busy all day in the tank. I'll wait a couple more weeks and pick up some more friends for him. The algae bloom seemed to have just been temporary due to the light change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
That's right, one learns what works over time and except for those little baby otocats I bought, all my fish seem to live well passed their life expectancy.
There is a safe zone with the nitrates as you say. I f you ever decide to try real plants anubias, and flame moss are great for a tank with just gravel. I have to add root tabs for my swords and others, also I fertilize the water ever week.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I changed the lighting in the big tank after Christmas and the result was an algae bloom. Hate that. I bought 4 baby otocinclus to take care of it but only one has survived. They are all wild caught and suffer a lot of stress and from a lack of algae before being brought to their forever homes. I knew that before I bought so am really not upset at the loss. The one survivor has a full round little belly and is busy all day in the tank. I'll wait a couple more weeks and pick up some more friends for him. The algae bloom seemed to have just been temporary due to the light change.
Hi Johnny I do apologise for cutting you short last night but I didn't want a late morning :)

Now on my tank the lights across the front I have plastic shaders and I have two either end, one in the middle and one yellow each either side of that...to me that's enough light plus it keep algae low.
Sorry to hear only one of your otocinclus servived but it sounds like it's doing good ;)

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
your tanks look good and sorry about the ones that have died.
Logan thanks mate :) i'll see how these go besides the readings of the water and if it keeps ok...i'll add the two that died :(

Ask a Question