Gardening Hobby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Are you serious? I came across this article that says there is no right or wrong way to Garden. Tell that to all the plants I've murdered in my life. I am a bonifide serial plant killer. Anyway, the article covers how wonderful gardening as a hobby is. Do you guys agree that there is no wrong or right way?

No Right or Wrong Way To Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you serious? I came across this article that says there is no right or wrong way to Garden. Tell that to all the plants I've murdered in my life. I am a bonifide serial plant killer. Anyway, the article covers how wonderful gardening as a hobby is. Do you guys agree that there is no wrong or right way?

No Right or Wrong Way To Garden
Whoever wrote the article must have at one time had a lobotomy. Of course there is a wrong way to garden. If your plants live you are gardening right and if they die you are gardening wrong

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
At some time in our gardening lives we have all found the wrong way to garden. Whoever wrote that article probably wrote the article about pets not being able to communicate their wants and needs. Pure bunk, both!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh wow, I can prove to any one of you that there is indeed a wrong way to garden, because I have found just about every wrong way possible over the years. My dead plants could all tell you that I did not garden them write and they surely suffered. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There is a wrong way to garden. I know something about it, I killed half of my beautiful roses:(
I'm sure the person who wrote that article has never taken care of a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They have never taken care of a plant before or has raised nothing but cacti. You have to put in a lot of work to take care of and raise a beautiful plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know the wrong way to garden! I'm a pro at it! :D

Most people are still learning the right way to garden. It's not very easy, and involves a lot of trial and error, which might be fatal for the plant but is a learning experience for the gardener. Maybe that's how the writer meant it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They have never taken care of a plant before or has raised nothing but cacti. You have to put in a lot of work to take care of and raise a beautiful plant.
Cacti can be killed too:p When I was a teenager, I overwatered a really pretty cactus that was a gift from my mother. It became really soft, weird and brown:(
To be honest, I don't think I'd enjoy gardening if it was easy. Difficulties make it more interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
From the article that's linked to, I'm not sure that we have taken what's been said in context.
This is because of the ambiguity of the statement.

I think that what the author means by "good" and "bad" is how your garden is socially received.
For example, in many places in the USA, growing vegetables in your front garden (front yard) is seen as "bad", regardless of the methods used or the success achieved.

http://www.theindychannel.com/lifestyle/2015-gardening-trends-are-kind-to-the-planet

Reaction score
Well i guess there is a wrong way to gardening as I have killed a few of my rosemary and rose plants but overtime with practice i've learnt from the mistakes that I have made and have learn the right way how to grow and take care of my plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From the article that's linked to, I'm not sure that we have taken what's been said in context.
This is because of the ambiguity of the statement.

I think that what the author means by "good" and "bad" is how your garden is socially received.
For example, in many places in the USA, growing vegetables in your front garden (front yard) is seen as "bad", regardless of the methods used or the success achieved.

http://www.theindychannel.com/lifestyle/2015-gardening-trends-are-kind-to-the-planet
I agree, I think the article is trying to tell us that we don't have to follow the "rules" when it comes to gardening. When I was little, my mom had all these rules that had to be followed in her garden, and for me, gardening was tedious, boring, hard and a chore. When I got my first house and started my own garden, I realized that the "garden police" weren't going to come get me if my rows of veggies were crooked, or there were weeds popping up. I discovered that I could plant veggies in the middle of the flower garden, or just plop a few plants in an old container. That's when gardening became fun and therapeutic - when I threw the rules out the window and did my own thing. BTW, the garden police also don't arrest you for killing a few good plants along the way - just keep trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I've killed plenty of Cacti in my time. So there truly a wrong way and I've mastered it. LOL

I was not even aware there were rules to gardening. I was never taught any rules to gardening.

Last edited:

Ask a Question