Indoor tropical garden/rainforest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on an indoor tropical garden in a large-ish shed in Scotland.

I have the shed but I am unsure where to start really. It currently got a heater running to dry but I was thinking of lining with plastic then polystyrene insulation the some marine ply or similar.

Then alternating red and blue strips of LED lights on the roof and a 2-3KW gas heater for winter.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience humidity protecting and insulating a wooden shed for this type of this and if they have any tips??

Or advice on the cheapest way to get enough light to grow pineapples, figs and melons in my shed in Scotland!?!

Any tips or input would be great! - Happy to get a picture of the space (recently cleaned out pigeon coop/house)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would do it like a shower. Plastic on walls over insulation then cement board or other waterproof wall board with cracks sealed with polymer like red gard. Do a water Drain and all. Add a power vent that can be controlled by wifi. Lights by wifi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Odd to see the words 'tropical' and 'Scotland' in the same sentence... ;):D

Welcome to the forum @Sheeve (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had my barn sprayed inside with foam insulation. It is waterproof and helps keep it warm for the horses. You should also consider a sky light. It won’t provide all the light your plants require, but will definitely help. I hope you are patient if you are going to raise pineapples. I have seen them take up to 3 years to produce an edible fruit.

Ask a Question