Let's talk tropical fish and aquariums!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know that several people here have aquariums. :)

Tell me about your fish!

What are you keeping, and what do you feed them? Are you purposely breeding them? Are you for or against snails in the tank? Live plants or artificial? (All my aquarium plants die. :( I've had the water tested, there's nothing abnormal there...)

Got any pictures? :D

I have two tanks running right now. In one, I have assorted fish. I have mollies, platies, neon tetras, and one very large plecostomus. In the other tank, I have two small plecos, and a ton of guppies!! I also have a Betta fish. :)

I recently got a new guppy. :love: It is my hope that he'll get friendly with the females, and I'll have more fish like him in a couple months.;) :whistle:

This is my new stud guppy. :ROFLMAO: (Credit for that phrase goes to @Beverly. (y).)

0913171357.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Gee whiz MM, i don't have an aquarium, never had. The only word i know is "guppy" actually i am starting to call my toes guppies. But i'm surprised more people don't have aquariums. Bump it up from time to time until you get a bite.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I dont' keep fish any more. I hated snails in fish tank. For some reason, they always appeared whenever I added something new to the tank. There were nights that I literally stood next to the tank and fished them out. Of course, all to no avail. To me, they didn't belong to the tank..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bump it up from time to time until you get a bite.:)

:ROFLMAO: I see what you did there! Threads are a bit like fishing, sometimes you have to be patient. And wait... :whistle: From reading other threads, I know of at least 5 members that have aquariums and fish, but they don't all log in every day.

As with any of "my" threads in "Chat," I really don't care if we digress terribly and run off on tangents and talk about other stuff while we wait... :rolleyes: :p

(Your toes are guppies?! :confused:.)

I figured I had side-tracked the "What's looking good" thread enough with chatter about fish...made poor @alp all broody! :LOL:

I had to give you credit for "stud guppy," Beverly - it still makes me giggle! (y)

I hated snails in fish tank. For some reason, they always appeared whenever I added something new to the tank.

The eggs for those little ones ride in on the new plants. It's almost unavoidable. Rinsing the plants helps... and there fish that eat them...and poisons, of course. I don't mind them, they help clean the tank! (The little (bad-words) :censored: did clog my filter one time!!)

I like the big ones. Apple snails, Mystery snails, Nerite snails, I just like to watch them moving around the tank.

@MoonShadows - that is really pretty. :) I could see spending an afternoon on that bench with a good book! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Of course my toes are not guppies, silly...they just look like guppies, well not really, but i just like saying the word. I mean i think Texans refer to their feet as "puppies" so i think i should be able to call my toes "guppies". One of the people in our hiking group called his toes "bichos" which means creepy crawly things. It never occurred to me to have a name for my toes, but they are always on display in flip flops, sandals, barefoot so we have the opportunity to meditate on them more often than people who actually wear shoes.
laughing girl2.gif

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I mean i think Texans refer to their feet as "puppies"

Hmm, here, when your feet are tired after a long day at work, people will say, "Oh! My dogs are barking!" to express that their feet are complaining.

they are always on display in flip flops, sandals, barefoot so we have the opportunity to meditate on them more often than people who actually wear shoes.
laughing-girl2-gif.27491

This is my idea of bliss. :) I love sandal season! :love:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:ROFLMAO: I see what you did there! Threads are a bit like fishing, sometimes you have to be patient. And wait... :whistle: From reading other threads, I know of at least 5 members that have aquariums and fish, but they don't all log in every day.

As with any of "my" threads in "Chat," I really don't care if we digress terribly and run off on tangents and talk about other stuff while we wait... :rolleyes: :p

I figured I had side-tracked the "What's looking good" thread enough with chatter about fish...made poor @alp all broody! :LOL:

I had to give you credit for "stud guppy," Beverly - it still makes me giggle! (y)

The eggs for those little ones ride in on the new plants. It's almost unavoidable. Rinsing the plants helps... and there fish that eat them...and poisons, of course. I don't mind them, they help clean the tank! (The little (bad-words) :censored: did clog my filter one time!!)

I like the big ones. Apple snails, Mystery snails, Nerite snails, I just like to watch them moving around the tank.

@MoonShadows - that is really pretty. :) I could see spending an afternoon on that bench with a good book! (y)

Crikey: You're so knowledgeable about fish tank snails! Never knew they had specific names..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Meh, they label them in the shops! :p :D

Yes, but I wouldn't bother remembering their names.. To me, they are just snails. Wonder what they do in the tank.. Do they help clean the tank? Any way, @MaryMary, sleep tight ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
People who have fish may be having a strong heart, atleast I guess so!

Actually, When I joined this forum, someone informed me there is another sister forum related to pond ( www.gardenpondforum.com )

I used to have fishes in glass container (aquarium) , they started to die, so stopped replacing them, broke my heart.:cry:

Now, I do have fishes, but I don't keep them.

I planned to grow some water lilies and lotus in a tank. Dropped few fries of mollies, and let nature take the control and do it's magic.:D

Fishes are doing fine, I don't even feed them, they do all the cleaning stuff.;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Rajesh Sethi If I were you, I would go for lotus .. @tbendl posted some lovely lotus on this forum. They were so beautiful - out of this world. You're blessed with the weather and I reckon they germinate readily for you..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Rajesh Sethi If I were you, I would go for lotus .. @tbendl posted some lovely lotus on this forum. They were so beautiful - out of this world. You're blessed with the weather and I reckon they germinate readily for you..

Lilies are easy to grow, lotus is the tricky one.

Germination need frequent water change, should be planted after roots appear, else it will rot.

It's hollow stem and roots(Did you know: a small cut underwater can drown and the young plant will start to rot) make it difficult, mine is just 1 year old. They have not flowered yet.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wonder what they do in the tank.. Do they help clean the tank?

They're omnivores. They eat algae, leftover fish food, and dead, dying or decaying plants. I've also occasionally seen them eating a dead fish. :oops:

I want keep snails, those ramshorn.:)

But can't decide, I heard they are pretty invasive species.o_O

If you wind up with too many, you just have to practice population control. Maybe this will help you decide. :unsure:

http://homeaquaria.com/freshwater-a...Are_Some_Ways_To_Control_The_Snail_Population

Ask a Question