How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
I mostly grow herbs, actually! I am slowly venturing into vegetables and fruits. Potatoes are pretty hard to mess up, I hear, so at the moment I'm growing potatoes in a pot.

Awesome! I used to grow mint and basil, but I had to get rid of my plant pots :p It was kinda hard to get rid of the pest that often attacked my mint, specially those nasty tiny red spiders! Have you tried growing cucumbers? Those seem soooo easy to grow!! My dad grows chilis and tomatoes :) You could give those a try, my dad grows them in a pot and they do well.

Reaction score
Awesome! I used to grow mint and basil, but I had to get rid of my plant pots :p It was kinda hard to get rid of the pest that often attacked my mint, specially those nasty tiny red spiders! Have you tried growing cucumbers? Those seem soooo easy to grow!! My dad grows chilis and tomatoes :) You could give those a try, my dad grows them in a pot and they do well.

I freaked out when I first saw those! I went out every morning and knocked them away. The thing that killed alot of my plants were caterpillars though! I'll be ready for them this time. No, I haven't! I do want to though. I tried growing alot of things too late, so they died from the cold. I am stocking up on seeds though, so I can try again.

Reaction score
Ugh, caterpillars you say? My dad laways found those on his tomato and chili plants! They were quite big, so he could get rid of them easily :) How do you plan to get rid of them if they attack your plants this year? As a kid I remember playing with huge caterpillars, lol, specially the ones I caught eating my dad's peach tree :LOL:

Reaction score
Ever since I can remember we have had a huge garden and raised animals. I think I have been gardening since I was brought home from the hospital in diapers. I can't remember a time when we didn't have a big beautiful garden with fresh vegetables at our fingertips all the time. I am so glad I was brought up that way so I can carry on the tradition and love of gardening with my family.

Reaction score
Can you believe I am just starting out now I'm thirty-ish. I was never really interested in gardening not until my mom past away leaving me and her garden. I feel bad because I didn't took care of it at first. Then one day I saw 4 of my late moms orchids all dried up in a corner. Almost begging. I never saw an orchids, I saw my mom. And I was like okay mom, you know I don't have a green thumb but I will try. Long story short, after just a couple of weeks, I saw little buds sprouting from my mom's orchids. I never felt so excited in my life!

Reaction score
Sorry for you loss. I'm glad you could take care of your mom's orchids well, I think those orchids and her garden in general will serve to remember you of her :) Glad you have enjoyed the whole experience so far. I hope you get to enjoy gardening more and more, to me gardening is one of the most relaxing activities ever.

Reaction score
I had an elderly Aunt when I was young who absolutely loved gardening all flowers. Although she lived on the East Side of Manhattan she had an adult daughter (my cousin) that lived in upstate new York and had a beautiful garden at her home. I used to love to go with my Aunt as I spent every summer with her as a child. This is where my love for flowers, gardening and reading came. I have very fond memories of things she taught me as a child. Thanks for reminding me with this post!

Reaction score
Glad to hear gardening is linked to a really fond childhood memory :) I think most folks here link gardening to that, I hadn't realize I do that too until I created this post, so I guess I should thank you all s well :) Thanks for sharing your story!

Reaction score
Ever since I can remember we have had a huge garden and raised animals. I think I have been gardening since I was brought home from the hospital in diapers. I can't remember a time when we didn't have a big beautiful garden with fresh vegetables at our fingertips all the time. I am so glad I was brought up that way so I can carry on the tradition and love of gardening with my family.

That's really nice, Lacey, the earlier your love for plants starts the better! I was in contact with gardens and plants since I was really young, but it wasn't until was a teen I started to love and respect plants and gardening :) I like it even more now!

Reaction score
Awwww!!!!! So you grow it from a seed? I remember an experiment we did with an avocado seed a while ago, I was taught how to germinate one :) Did you do something like that?!!? It sounds like you had such a wonderful childhood, by the way... I have noticed most people over here have amazing childhood memories linked to gardening. Whenever I think of gardening and my childhood only good memories make it to the surface :)
Yeah, gardening is such a natural part of life. I try to make sure my kids know how to grow their own food. We never knows what the future brings but being able to survive is important.

Reaction score
Are you into preserving as well? I want to really get into growing my own things and learn how to preserve things as well. I heard isn't hard, and knowing how to preserve any kind of fruit or vegetable can save your life. Because as you said we never know what the future will bring us.

Reaction score
I was 4 or 5 yo when I learned about gardening. Mom taught us how to plant flowers - Zinnias and Marigolds. It was fun but I still wasn't that interested. Then I learned how to grow an avocado from a seed but I also learned that it wouldn't make avocados unless it was grafted and moved to Mexico. Well, I didn't really wanna move that far south so still not much interest. But I was picking veggies and melons and digging up Horseradishes when I got my first pineapple to plant and that got me interested. I think I was 12 cause it was the same summer that I got my new Sony Cybershot camera and I was all over that too! :D I chopped off the top but I dried it out too much before I planted it so it didn't survive. But I read about pineapples and learned that the best ones to grow came from Costa Rica. So I got one and didn't dry it out so much and now it's getting really huge!
While the pineapple was growing, I tried Venus Flytraps, Horseradishes, and peppers. The last 2 were total success! :D So now I'm trying lots of different veggies and flowers. I have 4 passion vines in the window and my 2 Giant Aloes are pupping so now I have 8!

Reaction score
That's a really sweet story :) So ever since your interest in gardening started (for real) you have continued gardening or you have stopped for long/short periods of time? I must admit my interest for gardening started when I was really young, but has always been characterized by long periods of ''rest'' from gardening or breaks :oops: It really depends on how busy I am, those periods aren't completely gardening-free, I just send much less time doing it. Does that happen to you?

Reaction score
Same same. Sometimes I have to study, play soccer, do chores, or just hang out. But I still try to manage my time. Well, except last summer cause too much happening but I know I'll have more time this year. But even with everything else, I still took care of my houseplants, planted Apache blackberries, and grew tons of cherry tomatoes and horseradishes. :D And this weekend I'll be starting Beefsteak tomatoes and 6 different types of hot and mild peppers indoors so they'll be ready to plant this spring.

Reaction score
Awesome! You're so lucky you can still garden. I'm traveling abroad in just a few days and probably moving to the Netherlands for good soon, so no more gardening for me right now :( I still have a few pants I need to give away before I move there, so not a god idea to start gardening again. Looking forward to moving and start gardening once again :)

Ask a Question