Anyone ever tried to move a 4 year old Asparagus bed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'm planning next springs work and garden. I've decided to stop messing with onions and turn that larger bed into an asparagus bed. I already have a small one and was wondering if it is possible to move my existing bed.

Anyone tried this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm planning next springs work and garden. I've decided to stop messing with onions and turn that larger bed into an asparagus bed. I already have a small one and was wondering if it is possible to move my existing bed.

Anyone tried this?
It is a LOT of backbreaking work but, yes you can. Asparagus plants/beds form a single mass of roots anywhere from 6 inches to 1 foot deep. You will have to dig to see how deep your roots go. The tools you will need is a sharpshooter shovel and a wheelbarrow. Divide your bed into square foot areas. Dig each square foot separately from the others and plant these squares in a prepared bed. You will damage a lot of roots but they will all survive. You will only loose about 1/2 of next years crop. If I were doing it again I would make the new bed at least twice as big as the original and plant the dug up squares a foot apart. This square foot rootball should have some old plant stems/stobbs sticking up. When this is dug up you will have what is called a crown. A crown can be divided but its better not to. Purchase a case of Ben-Gay. Your back will need it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info @Chuck. I don't mind hard work. It is not a big bed at the moment and that is part of the reason I need to move it. Should have started bigger but I didn't have my larger raised bed in at that time.

It ought to be interesting to see what I encounter because this was one of the beds that I dug down and lined with metal cloth before dumping in the soil. I think I only went down about a foot in the first place. Seems a long time ago!

It will be a good kick off to the outdoor work. Now all I have to do is wait 3 1/2 months...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No idea, but I think asparagus is not the fussiest of plants and it took a lot to kill them although I have succeeded:eek::cry:, so worth a try. I baiscally left them to die in pots and trays. Why not try spring onions? - they are easy to grow and is more or less an all year round plant and you can harvest any time Or even kale which is good for your health instead of leaving you to wee in a different colour! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank you for the replies. @alp I really like asparagus and that is why I wish to dedicate a bigger portion of my raised bed to growing them. It is currently in a cold frame and it was stupid on my part to start them there!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the replies. @alp I really like asparagus and that is why I wish to dedicate a bigger portion of my raised bed to growing them. It is currently in a cold frame and it was stupid on my part to start them there!

Ah, your favorite! Can't blame you! My friend ate them raw and young and gave me a bit to try and it was yummy and sweet. His years of living in France .. Show us some pics.. I had a whole tray growing for months and months.. As I have been planning to move, I just left them there. Need to check if anyone planted on the raised bed is still alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Should I be moving these before or after my harvest? Forgot about the fact that there will be a fair number of spears mature enough to harvest this year.

Ask a Question