Succulent - My echeveria is dying, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and happy Friday,

I bought this succulent, which I think is an echeveria, about 6 months ago. It recently got a bad sunburn on its middle layer leaves, they were really brown/black on the top, and after doing some research online I decided to pull the damaged leaves out.

Then another issue arose, and the whole bottom row began to rot, the leaves began to soften and take on a yellow/brownish colour. I researched this too and read it was rot from over-watering. I pulled those out as well and stopped watering the succulent for a while. However the rot appears to be continuing as you can see in the picture, and more leaves are turning yellow/brown around the bottom, and I am at a loss as to what to do.

I bought special soil for succulent and cacti and thought maybe it needs new soil and to be re-potted. But I have also been considering chopping the plant in 2 and propagating it, if indeed the bottom part is dying...... I included a picture where you can see the plant from the side, and the top part looks fresh and healthy, but the lower part is getting worse. So before I act, I thought I'd ask my fellow gardeners for some advice.

Many thanks, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Jenny

20170616_133018_HDR.jpg
20170616_133032_HDR.jpg
20170615_100456_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
best thing you could do to try save it is put it out side as it needs loads of sun light and warmth and there is plenty of both out there this time of year(y) If that does not work then nothing will & it must be to far gone. but don't give up just yet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mmm, I had a few problems with these when I first grew them - i think I mollycoddled them a bit too much. They don`t seem to like watering from above too much, and they don`t like water sitting on top of the leaves either - so mine live in dry spots and get ignored quite a lot. I try to make sure there is no muck or wet sitting on top of the leaves, and even give them the painting brush treatment (when nobody is looking)
Go mad Jenny......buy yourself a nice new one and have another go - and stop being so kind :rolleyes:
Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Those plants are real easy to kill. My mom got 2 for mothers day, treated them the exact same. One did what yours is, noe: Turned a yellow/brown, began to look off. She decided to repot them because the pot they came in was tiny. The top half of the plant unceremoniously fell off.

Avoid over watering for sure. Bring it outside but if it begins to get sunburned again move it somewhere shadier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, over watering I think. Next to no watering and warm sunny conditions OUTSIDE I think. They thrive on neglect basically :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies and input. It seems I read the wrong care instructions, thinking it did not want direct sunlight. Overwatering makes sense too, unfortunately the rot has not stopped even though I have stopped watering it a few weeks ago. The plant has now moved outside on my window sill in half-shade, and maybe it can recover... At least there is plenty of warmth and sun around at the moment :)

and haha Tetters thank you, I loved your reply, it made me laugh out loud. You are right, I think it may be a case of letting go, feels like an important life/plant lesson :p

Ask a Question