I think this is a Golden Barrel Hybrid cactus?

InsanityShard

Sorta Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4C-36C temps and severe drought right now
Country
au
Not sure what this is. It was sold at Bunnings as a 'Ball Cactus'. Considering I recently got an incorrectly mounted Catlia orchid listed as a Dendrobium I'd say this has a different name. It finally flowered, so that helps! It has a small ring of unopened flower buds on the crown, and I accidentally buried about 3/4 of its long stalk while repotting thinking the top was a budding new cactus as it was struggling at the time...

The spikes are about an inch long. Very thick. Very sharp.

Edit: The cactus is indeed round, and during a sad period got stuck in a small pot because I just couldn't find any gloves to repot it after it outgrew it. By the time I did, it had grown a foot tall stalk with the ball at the very top- the stalk having a brown colour, and being just as spikey as the cactus, it was about half the overall width of the cactus. I've had it for about 8 years. It's incredibly hard to weed and care for due to the spikes, but after going into proper cactus potting mix in a nice tall pot it's flowered. I hope you can help me.

Attachments

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
gb
Don't know what it is. I haven't got this one. @zigs big on cacti and he might be able to help. One thing for sure, it's a BEAUTY! With lovely colour shifts. :D(y)

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
gb
Lovely cactus :)

I just grow them, not sure of the names :)

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
gb
Agreed, looks like a Notocactus :)

Ask a Question