How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
Well, I am lucky now but I will have to move back someday and it won't be as warm as where you're going. But I will still grow stuff anyway. :)
One of my friends lives in Tilburg, in north Brabant, and I know someone in Maribor, Slovenia. But most of my friends are in Russia (Omsk, Yekaterinburg, Moscow, and St. Peterburg).
Which part of Netherlands will you be living in?
Netherlands has really good growing zones so you should be able to grow tons of stuff there! :D Удачи! :) (means good luck)

Reaction score
That's amazing! So you are Russian? :) I just checked the temperatures in the Netherlands right now, and man!! it is hot!!! I used to live in Norway before, if you compare the Netherlands is hot! Russia must be colder than Norway :eek: By the way, what you mean with moving back? You mean going back to Russia?

I'll be in Amsterdam, to be more exact in a place in ''Hoorn'' :) Thanks a lot (y) I'll need it :p

Reaction score
Yeah but I speak fluent English and I've lived here 1/2 of my life. :D The 2 best places for gardens would be Krasnodar krai or St. Peterburg. Sochi would be awesome since it's sub-tropical but it's in the Caucasus. :eek: Even Volgograd isn't safe so maybe St. Peterburg. And it's on the water and it's close to Sweden and Norway! :D Some of my favorite rock bands are from Norway!
Amsterdam should be awesome! :D It's so close to the ocean and it's on the water.

Reaction score
My parents probabaly started gardening when I was a little girl, but I don't exactly know the date, its just that every year they have planted a large garden in our backyard...

Reaction score
That's awesome! Do you garden as well? or only your parents do? I wish mine did, my mom couldn't care less about plants or gardening, and right now my dad doesn't either, but that wasn't always the case! At least not for my dad, my mom has always been like that.

Reaction score
Yeah but I speak fluent English and I've lived here 1/2 of my life. :D The 2 best places for gardens would be Krasnodar krai or St. Peterburg. Sochi would be awesome since it's sub-tropical but it's in the Caucasus. :eek: Even Volgograd isn't safe so maybe St. Peterburg. And it's on the water and it's close to Sweden and Norway! :D Some of my favorite rock bands are from Norway!
Amsterdam should be awesome! :D It's so close to the ocean and it's on the water.

My only worry about living in the Netherlands in the future are the floods :unsure: I'm sure you have heard about the flood dangers there, plus this global warming issue doesn't look good at all :eek: Ah well, I'll enjoy the trip (y) Leaving in just a few hours!

Reaction score
My only worry about living in the Netherlands in the future are the floods :unsure: I'm sure you have heard about the flood dangers there, plus this global warming issue doesn't look good at all :eek: Ah well, I'll enjoy the trip (y) Leaving in just a few hours!

zOOmg! :eek: That soon? Have an awesome trip! :D
And yeah, I always forget about global warming thing but it's causing a lot of coastal and river flooding. There was epic floods on the Ural river and in Sochi last fall.
But not many worries about Amsterdam. They have the Deltaworks and controlled flooding so it shouldn't be a really serious issue. :) Have fun overseas! :D

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?

Ohhhh I completely forgot about that purple one Trellium! Those are definitely an eye catcher in any garden. I know they are very easy to grow from clippings. Your dad was a smart man to pick that one for you back then... great choice to nurture a fledgling gardener...instant success.

Reaction score
Hehehe, yeah, Tommy! Actually those purple plants grow wild very easily, so wild some people see them more as weed than a nice plant. It's really hard to get rid of them as well. I will always seem them as nice ornamental plants, if I ever need to fill a place with some nice plants... I know which one to use, it helps I love purple, hehehe!

Reaction score
Hehehe, yeah, Tommy! Actually those purple plants grow wild very easily, so wild some people see them more as weed than a nice plant. It's really hard to get rid of them as well. I will always seem them as nice ornamental plants, if I ever need to fill a place with some nice plants... I know which one to use, it helps I love purple, hehehe!

Haha! One man's weed is another man's treasure!! It really is true though. Down here there is a little clover like flowering bulb...I forget the name now but I can find it. They come up wild "ruining" people's "perfect" green lawns and they do everything they can to eradicate these tiny pink (sometimes white or yellow) flowers. Usually an unsuccessful endeavor, and I must say I like the little things. There are some varieties that aren't as common though and are often available in the smaller garden centers here. I have a small one in a pot with more golden leaves and yellow flowers. I'll look up the plant's name and post it here since I'm off on a tangent haha. Ok it's called "oxalis". Check all the images on Google. I wanna get the one with the big dark purple leaves!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah, please find the name if you can :) Those tiny flowers sound lovely! :) Do you happen to have a picture of that golden leaved plant of yours? I'm sure it looks lovely!

BTW, those folks are creazy! Who wants a perfectly green lawn anyway, lol?! As long as there are no brown bald spots in the lawn all is good in my book ;)

Reaction score
zOOmg! :eek: That soon? Have an awesome trip! :D
And yeah, I always forget about global warming thing but it's causing a lot of coastal and river flooding. There was epic floods on the Ural river and in Sochi last fall.
But not many worries about Amsterdam. They have the Deltaworks and controlled flooding so it shouldn't be a really serious issue. :) Have fun overseas! :D

Hey there!!!!! What's up?! So sorry! I hadn't seen your reply until now! I already came back from that place! Some months ago to be exact!

It was all good :) Btw, not worried about the floods right now, more about the future when most glaciers melt and the sea levels rise creazily :( Now is good tho :D What's new?

Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah, please find the name if you can :) Those tiny flowers sound lovely! :) Do you happen to have a picture of that golden leaved plant of yours? I'm sure it looks lovely!

BTW, those folks are creazy! Who wants a perfectly green lawn anyway, lol?! As long as there are no brown bald spots in the lawn all is good in my book ;)

This is pretty much what mine looks like...hope you can see it here:

http://hoosiergardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/oxalis-moulton-lava-pwa.jpg

Reaction score
Omg!!! That's one of the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while! Very beautiful plant! Can't believe some people want to get rid of it. I guessca weed is a weed when it grows in the wrong place :eek:

Reaction score
Omg!!! That's one of the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while! Very beautiful plant! Can't believe some people want to get rid of it. I guessca weed is a weed when it grows in the wrong place :eek:

Well, that's one of the less common varieties. The "weed" ones just have regular green leaves. I gotta post a pic of one with the purple leaves. You will really love that one.

Ask a Question