How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
Haha yea one of my online friends has been to Venice and he says it is pretty smelly and big rats swim in the canals haha. Wouldn't bother me at all. I love the water... being around it, on a boat, fishing, everything. I wouldn't be swimming with all those rats though.

LOOOOL, erm! I admire your friend's openness, lol, he didn't bite his tongue one bit! But yeah, with all that water... well, I really guessed it could get so darn smelly. Wonder why they rarely mention it, they just say things like ''oh my.... it was magical...!''. Rats swimming in the canals... ah, I've always thought they can adapt well to everything!

Reaction score
I started with a garden as a elementary school project and I have been gardening ever since. I have indoor plants and outdoor plants. The wondering jew is one of my favorites also.
100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

Ahh, I had this one too, it doesn't like a very moist soil... not one bit! Yup, I almost lose that plant to rot! It's a beautiful plant tho. I went to a butterfly park in The Netherlands and they had this one plant over there, among others! It was thriving! The fish from the pond liked to nibble it.

Reaction score
My grandmother owned a flower nursery so from a tender age I was out and about trying to plant my own flowers. Looking back at it I think the workers thought of me as a nuisance because I was always nagging or tagging at their feet for flower seed, or bags to plant flower in but i was just enjoy being a child and doing what the grow-ups did. I still love and enjoy planting my flowers; my favorites are the orchid, anthurium and rose.

Reaction score
I was exposed to it when I was very young but didn't really get into on my own until my early twenties. In addition to my parent's love for plants I had grandparents who were farmers out in Iowa. I loved roaming the fields when I went to visit them.

Reaction score
Hey there!!!!! What's up?! So sorry! I hadn't seen your reply until now! I already came back from that place! Some months ago to be exact!

It was all good :) Btw, not worried about the floods right now, more about the future when most glaciers melt and the sea levels rise creazily :( Now is good tho :D What's new?

It's all good and it's cool that your trip was so awesome! :D I was gone for the rest of the winter cause I had too much to study but now I'm back. And yeah if the poles keep melting then the best place to live will be in the mountains, lol. What's new with me is tons of tomato and pepper plants. :D And we're already picking blackberries too!

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear you are back, I was wondering what had happened with you :) Glad to see you are doing ok and very busy being productive ;) That's always very good! No gardening for me right now :( But once I move I'll surely get a lot fruit trees :D

Reaction score
I was exposed to it when I was very young but didn't really get into on my own until my early twenties. In addition to my parent's love for plants I had grandparents who were farmers out in Iowa. I loved roaming the fields when I went to visit them.

Wow, your childhood roaming the fields in Iowa sounds awesome! Bet you had a lot places to explore over there and cool things to see. My great grandparents were farmers, but they moved after a while to the city, so that was it.

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?
These are some beautiful pictures I first got into it when I was real young and my great grandfather use to come over and plant vegetables in the back yard.

Reaction score
Awesome :) My love for plants started with my dad, my grandpa never showed any kind of interest towards plants, but my grandma did. She never taught me that much tho, since she was only interested in indoors ornamental plants :( It's cool your dad was interested in edibles, t seems most men are :p

Reaction score
My grandmother owned a flower nursery so from a tender age I was out and about trying to plant my own flowers. Looking back at it I think the workers thought of me as a nuisance because I was always nagging or tagging at their feet for flower seed, or bags to plant flower in but i was just enjoy being a child and doing what the grow-ups did. I still love and enjoy planting my flowers; my favorites are the orchid, anthurium and rose.

Awwwwwwww, yeah, adults are like that, lol. It's the beauty of being a child, everyone think it's ok or normal, so let it pass, but try doing that as an adult, hehehe ;) You are so lucky for having grown up in a place like that, surrounded by flowers and beautiful plants, no wonder you love plants and flowers!

Reaction score
I always helped my mom garden when I was a kid, but didn't have my own until quite recently when I moved into my own place. Before that I lived in a dorm, then a rental house, and I couldn't garden at the dorm, and the rental house I knew I was only going to be there for one year, so I didn't want to put an effort in. No one else did either, so our house looked pretty bad, haha!

Reaction score
Oh Rose, I'm glad you can finally garden. I'm in a similar situation right now; unable to garden. That's because I can no longer invest money or time on that... Since I plan to move soon one or 2 years top. If everything goes well.

Reaction score
I was first introduced to gardening when I was 6. My great grandfather had started a garden in our backyard. Not too long after that I started attempting to do it myself. I have always been into gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was first introduced to gardening when I was 6. My great grandfather had started a garden in our backyard. Not too long after that I started attempting to do it myself. I have always been into gardening.
This sounds nice:) I didn't have the chance of meeting any of my great grandparents. Adults in my home weren't interested in gardening, so when I was a kid I didn't know how to take care of plants. I used to spend most of my time indoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When I was five, my daddy let me weed the onions--he figured that onion leaves didn't look like anything else, so I wouldn't pull up the onions by mistake! We always had a large vegetable garden, and as I matured I got to do more and more with it. Then for my 10th birthday I received a rose bush!
I've gardened every year since, except when I was in college. I cannot imagine being without dirt on my shoes and a grubby fingers:D!

Ask a Question