How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
I started gardening about 12 years ago, about the time I was 30. Growing up my mom never really had a garden or anything like that. She did put potted plants around the house during the summer but nothing amazing. Not until we bought a house of our own did I start to have a big interest in planting. I really didn't know much about it but I knew I wanted my house to look beautiful so I started learning a little at a time. During this learning stage my mother in law was a huge inspiration. Her entire backyard around their pool was a beautiful garden. She would give me small pieces of her plants and I would replant them. I loved it . :)

Since we have moved to Florida and although I left that beauty behind I started right in here and our home is just as beautiful. Plants and flowers everywhere. Just as I like it. :):)

I've always said it's never too late to start gardening :) I wish my mom could start gardening, I've tried to make her like it, but no luck, I guess some people aren't into gardening at all! It's something I'll have to accept! It's nice you did grow to like gardening tho, even tho you didn't have a strong gardening influence ;) I love oranmentals for the same reason you do: I want my place to look beautiful! I'd love to see some pics of your garden, I'm sure it's gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yeah, Claudine! The first time I ate my own cucumber I was so excited! I couldn't believe I did that! So I can understand how you felt about your tomatoes. Btw, how did you learn to plant tomatoes?
I looked for some tips online. Google has an answer to any question:p Also, I asked my grandparents for help. They have two small gardens and they always plant a lot of vegetables and fruits there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
It's never too late to start ;) Always remember that! Btw, I suffer from OCD as well, at first getting my hands dirty was no fun, but now it doesn't matter at all. Sometimes I wear garden gloves, specially when working with the soil of the garden!

I agree! I don't mind the dirt anymore. I even enjoying seeing earthworms and pulling them out. LOL. I even scare and chase my nephews around whenever I find one.

Reaction score
LOL, that's nice! I use to go earthworm hunting when I just started gardening :LOL: I got a lot earthworms, so I could place them in my pots! They do wonders to the soil! I was so pleased to see (after re-potting) that there were small baby earthworms already! :love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
My teacher had her students growing corn and beans in the classroom, near a window, during my nursery school classes. That is my first memory of myself growing plants, with assistance from an adult. I was probably three or four years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mother was into gardening so I picked it up while growing up. I guess it was about 10-12 that I really started to get into it. A close friend of my mother's gave me a bunch of mint and it kind of went from there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Even as a kid I had great interest in gardening. I used to spend my pocket money to buy seeds. I once planted a rose cutting and a few days later dug it out to see if it had roots. Ofcourse the cutting died. (lol). I will die first before my interest in gardening dies.

Reaction score
That is such a nice little story :) Did you really use your pocket money to buy seeds? That reminds me of me when I was in my early 20's, I was spending a big part of my money on gardening supplies and plants :LOL::ROFLMAO: Sadly I had to give most of them away because I'm moving to the Netherlands soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
That is such a nice little story :) Did you really use your pocket money to buy seeds? That reminds me of me when I was in my early 20's, I was spending a big part of my money on gardening supplies and plants :LOL::ROFLMAO: Sadly I had to give most of them away because I'm moving to the Netherlands soon.
My two sisters had left the shores and were earning. They were sending me money. I hope who ever got your plants will take care of them.

Reaction score
My mother was into gardening so I picked it up while growing up. I guess it was about 10-12 that I really started to get into it. A close friend of my mother's gave me a bunch of mint and it kind of went from there.

That is so nice :) I'll never know what is like to have a mom who likes gardening or cooking....lol. I envy those who do! Wish my mom shared my liking for plants and living things in general. It's nice you started out so young and still have interest for this wonderful hobby :)

Reaction score
My two sisters had left the shores and were earning. They were sending me money. I hope who ever got your plants will take care of them.

Thank you, I sure hope so! I still have the calla lilies my father gave me, it's very hard to say bye to them! was thinking of saving the bulbs and take them with me, but doubt that can be done (I don't think american airport security allows it :(

My teacher had her students growing corn and beans in the classroom, near a window, during my nursery school classes. That is my first memory of myself growing plants, with assistance from an adult. I was probably three or four years old.

Wow really? We had the same project with beans growing in jars with cotton, that definitely never inspired me to grow plants. I actually thought it was the most boring thing ever. Glad this wasn't the case with you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Trellum. I think if you can obtain a quarantine certificate plants could go form one country to another.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
To answer the original question: I was about 15 when I started gardening. I loved to buy plants for my room (my room was full of plants!) and that was the year my mom let me plant some flowers in my own little patch of earth for the first time too.

Reaction score
15 years old? Wow, you started really young :) I started at around that age or maybe a bit earlier. I had many plants in my room as well, had to remove them after a while because some of them were triggering my asthma. Thanks for sharing your short but nice story :)

Reaction score
@Trellum. I think if you can obtain a quarantine certificate plants could go form one country to another.

I'm not sure, but I think it'd not be easy at all to get one of those certificates :( The Netherlands is a country where you need to do a lot paperwork for almost every single thing you want to do. I'll be full of paperwork with my own migratory papers, I can imagine what sorts of things they'd ask me to allow me import safely a few bulbs. Gosh, they're so bureaucratic.

Ask a Question