How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
My dad instilled a great foundation of gardening for me when I was little. One of my youngest memories was picking and biting on chives while playing outside. The idea of growing food that you can just run out and munch on is too hard to pass up!

Reaction score
As early as I can remember, my family were farmers. I can remember cutting up seed potatoes for my father to plant, way before I started school. I learned to drive a 1951 Ford tractor when I was eight. I didn't get to go very fast, but at least I was driving. By the time was eleven, I was as good a farm hand as the old man my father hired in the fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Hmmm I was 22! Just last year! At first, I didn't really like gardening because the thought of getting my hands dirty (literally) didn't appeal to me. I'm a bit OC that way. Anyway, my mom has been gardening ever since I can remember, and she convinced me to plant some of the seeds I got. She did manage to convince me, and now, I am addicted to it!

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?

I started gardening about 12 years ago, about the time I was 30. Growing up my mom never really had a garden or anything like that. She did put potted plants around the house during the summer but nothing amazing. Not until we bought a house of our own did I start to have a big interest in planting. I really didn't know much about it but I knew I wanted my house to look beautiful so I started learning a little at a time. During this learning stage my mother in law was a huge inspiration. Her entire backyard around their pool was a beautiful garden. She would give me small pieces of her plants and I would replant them. I loved it . :)

Since we have moved to Florida and although I left that beauty behind I started right in here and our home is just as beautiful. Plants and flowers everywhere. Just as I like it. :):)

Reaction score
Hmmm I was 22! Just last year! At first, I didn't really like gardening because the thought of getting my hands dirty (literally) didn't appeal to me. I'm a bit OC that way. Anyway, my mom has been gardening ever since I can remember, and she convinced me to plant some of the seeds I got. She did manage to convince me, and now, I am addicted to it!
That's great to hear, it's never too late to get started. Gardening brings such peace and it is great to enjoy you flowers at the end of a hard days of work. Don't forget to save your seeds so you can enjoy your gifts for next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
That's great to hear, it's never too late to get started. Gardening brings such peace and it is great to enjoy you flowers at the end of a hard days of work. Don't forget to save your seeds so you can enjoy your gifts for next year.
I totally agree! When I am stressed, I just visit our garden. Sometimes, I do some gardening. But often times, I just sit and stare at the plants. I always say that gardening is therapeutic. :) I don't know how to dry and save seeds though. I just buy seed packs at the gardening store.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening?

I was about 22. It all stems from my love of nature. My intent has since been to plant as many native plants as possible to give the local wildlife a chance.

Reaction score
That sounds like a very wonderful goal, kudos to you and best of luck with that :) I'm sure you will be successful and will have a lot fun doing it :)

Reaction score
I was first introduced to gardening when I was 6. My great grandfather had started a garden in our backyard. Not too long after that I started attempting to do it myself. I have always been into gardening.

That's awesome! I bet whenever you garden or see x plant you start remembering your grandpa. It's the same for me with my dad and grandma, whenver I see a tomato or chili plant I think of my dad, when I see x ornamentals I think of my grandma!

Reaction score
When I was five, my daddy let me weed the onions--he figured that onion leaves didn't look like anything else, so I wouldn't pull up the onions by mistake! We always had a large vegetable garden, and as I matured I got to do more and more with it. Then for my 10th birthday I received a rose bush!
I've gardened every year since, except when I was in college. I cannot imagine being without dirt on my shoes and a grubby fingers:D!

Aw that sounds like a really cute and nice story! It seems that experience really got you into gardening :) I plan to do the same with my children, I think the love for gardening usually starts when people is young, but I have met a few grown ups whose love for gardening started when they were already adults. Mine started when I was just a teenager.

Reaction score
My dad instilled a great foundation of gardening for me when I was little. One of my youngest memories was picking and biting on chives while playing outside. The idea of growing food that you can just run out and munch on is too hard to pass up!

I agree, I tarted growing ornamentals thanks to my daddy, but I have always felt so curious about growing edibles! I think it's magical to be able to grow our own food, it's so healthy, specially if you keep it organic! I can't wait to make my own preserves and limonetto with my own produce!

Reaction score
As early as I can remember, my family were farmers. I can remember cutting up seed potatoes for my father to plant, way before I started school. I learned to drive a 1951 Ford tractor when I was eight. I didn't get to go very fast, but at least I was driving. By the time was eleven, I was as good a farm hand as the old man my father hired in the fall.

That's very impressive! You got to become an expert farmer by 11! It got to feel so good to know that if there is a shortage of food you can just grow about anything you want! I always think that I should get to learn how to do that, just in case and also for fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree, I tarted growing ornamentals thanks to my daddy, but I have always felt so curious about growing edibles! I think it's magical to be able to grow our own food, it's so healthy, specially if you keep it organic! I can't wait to make my own preserves and limonetto with my own produce!
I agree, it's a very magical experience:) I'll never forget the first time when I managed to grow my own tomatoes. I love growing vegetables. It's a pity that my parents didn't teach me how to do it when I was a child. I'm sure I would have loved it. Taking care of plants can be a lot of fun:)

Reaction score
Yeah, Claudine! The first time I ate my own cucumber I was so excited! I couldn't believe I did that! So I can understand how you felt about your tomatoes. Btw, how did you learn to plant tomatoes?

Reaction score

It's never too late to start ;) Always remember that! Btw, I suffer from OCD as well, at first getting my hands dirty was no fun, but now it doesn't matter at all. Sometimes I wear garden gloves, specially when working with the soil of the garden!

Ask a Question