How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The plant in the last picture looks so weird!:) I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere before. I think my aunt grew it.
As for your question, I was 25 or 26 when I got interested in gardening. I know, not very young. When my boyfriend gave me my very first miniature rose, I realized how wonderful it is to take care of plants:)

Reaction score
I didn't really have my own plants until my late teens but I have been around gardens and farms my whole life. Ever since I can remember I have been surrounded by plants.

Reaction score
My family had a vegetable garden and I helped out with that as a kid. I would also dig holes for my mom's flowers. I grew some sunflowers when I was in first grade! I always had a few potted plants - aloe vera, pothos, etc. But, I did not really start experimenting until I was in my thirties and got interested in starting my own seeds and stuff.

Reaction score
I actually started liking planting at the age of four. My family friend came over and gave a small cutting from their plant and I was so amazed how you could create so many cuttings (eventually plants) from one single plant. From then, I have been gardening, composting, and planting some more! I have many indoor plants and I always love to compost my things.

Reaction score
Hihihihihi :LOL: That's the same thing that attracted me to gardening :X3: How amazing, isn't it? How something so simple can amaze a young mind :) I was so amazed when my dad gave me those cuttings... it was so mind blowing to think I could create new plants with those cuttings!

By the way, I'd love getting into composting in the future! Any ideas on what I should try or do first? I'm clueless when it comes to this!

Reaction score
@Trellum I love that purple flower and the one with the green stripped leaves with the purple accents. I have had both of these plants and they are wonderful! I am horrible at names so I cannot remember what they are. :oops:

As far as gardening goes. I was knee high to a grasshopper when I started gardening. My Mama and my aunt Helen always had a huge garden every year. They would take me to the garden with them and give me a gallon of water. I would sit at the end of the row and make mudpies while they toiled away. I would also help water the plants. (The garden was away from the house and they would load several gallons of water up in the station wagon to take to the garden) I can remember they would pour the gallon jugs of water in a bucket and they had a dipper that they would let me dip in the water and pour around the bottom of the plants. It was such a special time for me. One the way back to the house my aunt and I would sit on the tail gate of the wagon and sing "Hit the Road Jack" while my Mama drove.

Ahh what a blissful time in my life and a great memory.

As I got older middle school and teens, I finally realized that gardening was hard work and I did everything I could to get out of it. I did not "rediscover" gardening until I was in my 20's and started one of my own.

Reaction score
What a beautiful story, Shelly Ann :) It sounds like a really pleasant memory, it's amazing how an activity as simple as this one can help to create so many special moments. I can almost picture you and your aunt singing ''Hit the road Jack'', I actually have that song in my mind right now, lol. It's really sounded like a lot of work!

I'm glad you rediscovered gardening tho :) It's better later than never ;) By the way, all those plants are known as ''wandering jew'' plants. They're ''Tradescantias'' ; I love them :love:

Last edited:
Reaction score
My family had a vegetable garden and I helped out with that as a kid. I would also dig holes for my mom's flowers. I grew some sunflowers when I was in first grade! I always had a few potted plants - aloe vera, pothos, etc. But, I did not really start experimenting until I was in my thirties and got interested in starting my own seeds and stuff.

Nice, blueiris! It sounds like you have a really early encounter with gardening :) Do you have very pleasant memories of that time? I'd actually like to garden with my kids in the future, in an attempt to bond and get us closer; create memories and so on.

Reaction score
I didn't really have my own plants until my late teens but I have been around gardens and farms my whole life. Ever since I can remember I have been surrounded by plants.

Awesome! I was surrounded by a lot plants as a kid, my dad loved to plant vegetables and so on. I couldn't care less about them back then :p I never thought I'd feel interested in having my own plants. So I totally get you ;)

Reaction score
The plant in the last picture looks so weird!:) I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere before. I think my aunt grew it.
As for your question, I was 25 or 26 when I got interested in gardening. I know, not very young. When my boyfriend gave me my very first miniature rose, I realized how wonderful it is to take care of plants:)

Hahaha, yeah. It's a ''furry'' tradescantia... a very varied genus ;) All those plants in this thread are actually belonging to the same genus. Actually the furry one is my favorite.

That's very nice :) Admirable considering you are not very fond of soil and germs. I'm glad your love and interest for plants was stronger :) I also suffered from that when I was younger; OCD. Mine is not completely gone, but much better than before. Now I touch the soil with bare hands and do other things. Anyways, I just wrote this to let you know there is hope :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you! I'd like to be able to touch the soil with bare hands. It would make taking care of my roses much easier. Maybe one day:)
This tradescantia really is furry:LOL: It seems very soft!

Reaction score
Lovely pictures! I have worked in my grandma's garden, since I was old enough to not trample plants. I remember plopping myself down in the strawberry patch and picking strawberries with my pawpaw. I ate more than I brought in, though. I also remember my nightly ritual of running to the garden to pick a hot pepper for my pawpaw, at supper time.

Reaction score
Awww, it seems gardening brings back a lot nice memories for most of the members of this forum :) It's nice to see that amazing memories can be built while gardening with your kids or grandchildren :) Thanks for sharing your story, Mariam :) It sounds like you had a truly blessed childhood :)

Reaction score
Thank you! I'd like to be able to touch the soil with bare hands. It would make taking care of my roses much easier. Maybe one day:)
This tradescantia really is furry:LOL: It seems very soft!

I'm sure you will one day :) I could overcome my OCD, I'm sure you will be able to do so too. You know? My OCD was so bad I stopped leaving my house for a few months! Yup, my fear to germs and touching surfaces was really bad. Extreme actually. So as you can see is possible to overcome this :)

Yeah, that plan is very furry! When you touch it... it feels like you are touching a cat's ears :p

Ask a Question