United States
Report as a 1600 year old plant.

otzst7a0iw121.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wonder myself. I got the pic off of reddit and that site has an amazing quantity of fake news. I searched the pic on go ogle and jack pine and black pine are names being used on seed sites to describe similiar pictures of the plant.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could even be a photoshop job! Don't think that much soil can sustain all that green. But then, I don't know much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Could even be a photoshop job! Don't think that much soil can sustain all that green. But then, I don't know much!
So some digging produced the original thread where the tree sold for 1.8 million Yen or about 16,000 usd. How that transferred to a 1600 year old tree in a post title is obviously the magic of the internet.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can't even keep a plant in a 2L pot alive,not to say A FOREST in a tiny tray! Amazing how some people just have what it takes to keep this wonder alive!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's still lovely no matter how old it is :)

Mine's for sale at just under $16,000 :)

DSCI0286.JPG

We're growing an ivy plant up it next year and will take off the leaves of that to produce a second smaller set, using the smallest leaved variety that we have, hedera helix, goldheart :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I will remain skeptical about the age of that bonsai. If it were documented, it would be far more expensive than $16,000. There are bonsai that have sold at auction for over a million dollars. I believe that one sold recently for $1,600,000. One was reported to have sold several years ago for $2 million but that can’t be documented. Now as for the trees in the picture, it couldn’t be that be that old and have that small configuration. Nevertheless I would sure like to have that bonsai.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will remain skeptical about the age of that bonsai. If it were documented, it would be far more expensive than $16,000. There are bonsai that have sold at auction for over a million dollars. I believe that one sold recently for $1,600,000. One was reported to have sold several years ago for $2 million but that can’t be documented. Now as for the trees in the picture, it couldn’t be that be that old and have that small configuration. Nevertheless I would sure like to have that bonsai.

Just tell you the world is full of suckers! My esteem for humans suffer another dent! LOL! So many good deeds can be done at that price. More training for doctors, nurses .. good technological advancement or even planting trees to offset CO2 footprint!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Planted 4 Kleenex tree seeds :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We can all agree that it isn't 1,600 years old, but it's not photo-shopped. Tree #13 is wired to re-rod, and at least 6 other trees are wired. That probably means it was recently re-potted. It is magnificent art and the kind of Hinokis probably collected from the wilds. It is indeed One of the most famous forests by Mr. Kimura. The photo here is the other side, perhaps because of the wire and re-rod. Generally speaking, there is only one side or one view of a bonsai that is considered The Front. But, if you of the ilk of Mr. Kimura, you can, perhaps routinely create great art that is great art from any view. There aren't many like him, now or ever before.

Also see another of his forests considered among the ten best bonsai in the world.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Kimura San must be a genius. I can't even grow a privet in a bonsai. Some people just have the know-how When I mentioned that I'd like to fashion a cloud tree, neighbour's daughter utter a sigh of disgust. Each to his/her own. I don't mind bonsai or cloud trees. To be able to keep such a plant going for so long requires a lot of effort and a bit of genius as well.

Ask a Question