How far down should I cut ba ck a old rose bush thats about 7 foot tall. See pic thank you..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20180906_144837.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I had to think about this for a while. I'd cut the rose back to about 3 feet, but not just "whacked" and topped. Look at the canes, especially the one on the left that takes a definite right-angle turn, and cut that one back. Also, the center of the bush could be thinned out--removing the bigger, thicker canes.
When you prune, make sure the growth buds are pointing in the direction you want the bush to grow. Keep any cuts from being toward the center of the plant, don't let the center become too thick, and after cutting back, give the rose a gentle feeding (1/2 the recommended amount) of a balanced fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener with respect your climate in Texas is very different to ours here in Britain and we are currently starting autumn (fall). Our last feed of the year here should not be later than the end of July as roses start to slow down in preparation for winter dormancy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sheal, of course you are right. We have a fall bloom here, so fertilize lightly now. I just can't get used to the varied zones on this forum, so am grateful for those who can explain and clarify.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sheal, of course you are right. We have a fall bloom here, so fertilize lightly now. I just can't get used to the varied zones on this forum, so am grateful for those who can explain and clarify.
I enjoy the differences in the sense of expanding my awareness of sun angles, temps, water, soil types and tendencies in plants at growing zone borders. I lurk a lot on GF actually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I just can't get used to the varied zones on this forum

I know what you mean marlingardener. :) I have now got used to looking left at the avatar box for the location of a member before I hit the keyboard to reply.

Do you stop feeding roses at a certain time in your climate marlingardener?

I lurk a lot on GF actually

And why not? I lurk a lot too. :) I have learnt a lot since I joined GF. It's interesting to see how others garden in various parts of the world, dealing with the rigours of climate, pests etc. along the way. Also picking up information on plants that we don't see here in Britain with the possibility of being able to grow them.....if we can find a supplier of course.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sheal, the last feeding is about now--mid-September. We have a flush of blooms in October and November, and some years we have had a bouquet of our roses on the Christmas Day dinner table. Our roses lose leaves and go semi-dormant in July and August, depending on the amount of rain. They are evergreen throughout winter, although they don't put out blooms until March or April.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know what you mean marlingardener. :) I have now got used to looking left at the avatar box for the location of a member before I hit the keyboard to reply.

Do you stop feeding roses at a certain time in your climate marlingardener?

And why not? I lurk a lot too. :) I have learnt a lot since I joined GF. It's interesting to see how others garden in various parts of the world, dealing with the rigours of climate, pests etc. along the way. Also picking up information on plants that we don't see here in Britain with the possibility of being able to grow them.....if we can find a supplier of course.
You should plant the seeds of capitalism, or at least, fertilize those native growths as you find they still exist. Shortages will stop. But I would care to know, since worms compost paper, and a banker uses it too, what is the most productive format for cash?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, the last feeding is about now--mid-September. We have a flush of blooms in October and November, and some years we have had a bouquet of our roses on the Christmas Day dinner table. Our roses lose leaves and go semi-dormant in July and August, depending on the amount of rain. They are evergreen throughout winter, although they don't put out blooms until March or April.

That's interesting marlingardener. Roses here start into leaf late February/March and produce blooms from mid May usually through to late September. If we are lucky we'll see the occasional flower at Christmas if the weather is mild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You should plant the seeds of capitalism, or at least, fertilize those native growths as you find they still exist. Shortages will stop. But I would care to know, since worms compost paper, and a banker uses it too, what is the most productive format for cash?

You have completely lost me here @DirtMechanic. :confused: My brain was tuned to roses. :D

what is the most productive format for cash?

In what respect?

Ask a Question