Planning for the very far future~!

InsanityShard

Sorta Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4C-36C temps and severe drought right now
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm Autistic and saving up to get a house built. It won't be built for a very long time, but I want to set up a large fruit/veggie/herb garden, probably in a 11x6 meter area, with a 4x2 meter greenhouse or shaded/covered area. I'm in South East Queensland, along the coast, and am quite willing to get it dug out to have 2 feet of thick soil placed to help the plants grow. This won't be for many years but I'd like to start planning now, and am wondering what kind of soil, what I have to watch for in terms of alkilinity and stuff, how often to fertalise and whats reccomended for this climate. It's in drought now but I do plan on putting in an underground watering system, with a mister in the greenhouse if it's a greenhouse or sprinklers if it's a shaded or covered area. I don't know enough to know how things like alkilinity effect the plants but I do know it has very strong effects and needs to be replenished- I once watched a white Hibiscus start having pink flowers, until it only had pink ones. I'd like to keep things like my dwarf Mulberries, for example, but I know I can't move them so I'd probably get new ones. If a greenhouse is recommended, I'd also like to turn at least one wall into a large tralice for passionfruit or some other climbing plant. I know in this small area I can fit 2 or 3 dwarf fruit trees, several vines, 3 or 4 climbers and maybe a full size tree nearby, along with herbs dotted around here and there with the trees central but spread apart. Is this possible, or is it too much? Or can I have more? I have very limited experience but I do know basics such as how to fully get the soil off roots, and not to try what my sister is doing... She's putting a lemon tree in a big pot. I tried to tell her at least change the soil every year but she won't even do that. I know to avoid stuff like that. As for the two feet of soil, would that be enough? I know the trees will reach deeper but it's more as a thick topsoil, for example. By the time I have enough to get a house built I'll be wheelchair bound or getting close to it, so it needs to have a raised pathway through it too. Is it possible? I also don't know too many fruits/veggies/herbs. But I really like watermelon and want a dwarf mulberry for my budgies. They love mulberries. I also plan on adding a chicken coop next to this, but it'd be closer to the greenhouse/covered/shaded thing, and separated by a fence.
I will be putting in a butterfly garden and a water garden separately to this in the back yard, I want at least a half acre for this very reason. XD

InsanityShard

Sorta Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Australia
If you're wondering I understand feet and inches better than centimeters and meters, but for building I work better in meters, for planting I work better in feet and inches, and I know kilometers but not miles... Ah, the messes of being taught your own height in feet and inches, but always hearing long distance in kolimeters rather than miles. I can picture inches, feet, millimeters (only up to 20) meters and kilometers, but not yards, miles, or centimeters. Confusing but that's how my brain works.

Last edited:

InsanityShard

Sorta Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Australia
I got a butterfly garden book that's probably very outdated from my mum. I want to put one in the back corner of my yard when I get a house built, but the annoying thing is I need to find out how much distance I need between the Butterfly Garden (I chose Clearwing Swallowtails to focus on) and my fruit/veggie/herb garden? I can put between 1.5 and 4 meters as a gap, fence included.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sounds like you've got it all planned out and it all sounds great. I'm not too good on the organised garden, I buy what I fancy and hope.good luck with your research (y) InsanityShard.

Ask a Question