Germinating Salvia Farinacea "White Victory"

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having problems germinating Salvia "White Victory". I'm have great success with the "Blue Mealy" though. The blues germinate within 2-3 days, however the whites just grow a white mold then green after about 2 weeks. I have been monitoring the humidity and temp per instruction. The grow medium is Pro Mix BX and doesn't seem to be overly wet. I gave up on the first flat and now am trying a second. I roughed up the seeds with sandpaper from advice from a google search. Any advice would be highly appreciated! Maybe I'm not giving them enough time??
Thank you!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Salvia farinacea 'White Victory' is a white-flowered seed cultivar of the Blue Mealycup Sage (Salvia farinacea). If all other variables are the same in your germination set-up, then the problem is likely the seed, which is either dead or contaminated with a fungus. Before disposing of the seed, try sterilizing the testa (seed coat) by soaking the seed for an hour in a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Then attempt germination again in fresh media. If you still have no success, the seed is likely not viable.

Ask a Question