Germinating for longer than instructed

Reaction score
I finally ordered some Pineberry seeds, but they say to keep them in the fridge to germinate better for two weeks--my question is, if I keep them there for longer, will it damage the seeds in any way? I'll be moving in a couple of weeks and I know they won't be seedlings by then but this place isn't really set up for growing anything at this point.

Reaction score
I had to deal with the same sort of situation. I remember asking a friend of mine, who was also a garden freak, and he told me to go a couple days to a week over the time instructed to germinate. He said any longer can actually damage the seeds during the germinating process. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but I hope this can give you some sort of help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about pineberry, but I've left garlic and tulip bulbs in the fridge longer without any issue. You probably don't want to leave them too long though; if kept at such a cold temperature more than an extra couple of weeks, the seeds may start to lose their viability. Couldn't you plant the seeds just before you move?

Reaction score
I finally ordered some Pineberry seeds, but they say to keep them in the fridge to germinate better for two weeks--my question is, if I keep them there for longer, will it damage the seeds in any way? I'll be moving in a couple of weeks and I know they won't be seedlings by then but this place isn't really set up for growing anything at this point.

Am not altogether sure what you are asking here yellowbird :confused:

Are you trying to get your Strawberry seeds to germinate in the fridge or are you storing them in the fridge, so that you can sow them after you have moved ?

Strawberry seeds, which is what your Pineberries are, don't normally need, to go in the fridge in order to encourage them to germinate, if they are sown at the correct time of year, which is Autumn. The fluctuating Autumn/Winter temperatures, break the seeds dormancy, naturally.
Strawberry seeds can take quite a while to germinate, anything from 6 to 10 weeks maybe even longer.

Seeds purchased from a Seed Supplier are best sown as soon as possible after receiving them, as you can never be sure as to how old the seeds are, but a few weeks either way, won't make much difference.

Any seed is best stored in a cool dry place and kept at a constant temperature. The optimum temperature for storing seeds is between 2 - 16 degrees centigrade.
It is thought that anything below 2 degrees or freezing the seed, can kill it, by bursting the seed membranes.

Reaction score
My grandfather has been a lifelong gardner and he recommended the safe idea to me too. I did as I was told and they worked out perfecty. So I dont think you should have any problem as well.

Ask a Question