Does it matter how moist a paper towel is when germinating?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So Ive successfully germinate 2 mangos trees and now I am trying to germinate papaya seeds. My problem is, the paper towels I am using to germinate absorb to much water, they are super wet. I have so far attempted to germinate 4 mango seeds with those very wet towels and they aren't growing that fast and sometimes stop growing. When I germinated my first two mango seeds with the other brand of paper towels, it worked all the times i used that brand, they were wet but they weren't too wet. I feel like the first type of paper towel was too much water, but I've herd that you can germinate by making a mango seed sit in water, but I also tried that and the results were similar. Does it matter?

Also any tips on germinating Papaya? I got the seeds and got them out of those little jelly pouches, I am also using a paper towel to germinate them, but I am placing them in the sunlight, as for a couple of other mango seeds, do you think they will grow better?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, in my experience it definitely matters. You want the paper towel moist -- no excess water (a little excess won't be detrimental).

If you want to germinate it in water, germinate it in water. If you want the ziploc bag method, use a ziploc bag, not water (Except just enough to keep moist).

Additionally, I probably wouldn't keep them in direct sunlight. Grow light, maybe.

Explanation: Your paper towel is drying either because the bag is not sealed, or, it's extremely hot (which makes sense considering you put them in direct sunlight)

Too much water in a ziploc will either a) Drown them or b) Make it easier for mold and other bacteria to grow.

Last edited:

Ask a Question