T8 or T5, does it matter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a two bulb 4' T8 fixture, but I feel compelled to go T5. Can I get away with a T8 putting out 6500K? Or should I really go T5?

My seedlings are starting, I need to decide .

Thanks!
H

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I start seeds I use a cheap shop light, I hang it about a 12/14 inches way from the seedlings and it seems to work well for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I start seeds I use a cheap shop light, I hang it about a 12/14 inches way from the seedlings and it seems to work well for me.
Great! Thanks!
I have to replant some of them this weekend.
All leggy and spaghetti like, sprouted way earlier than I thought.
Was NOT prepared with my light(s) lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lighting is one of those questions that everyone asks and everyone has their own way of doing it....

in short it was cheaper to buy a t-5 rather than convert my old t-12 to t-8...thinking about the long range...

this is my approach the main germination table has an 6 bulb T-5 HO high bay <made by atlas lighting>apx $160.00. put 6 new lamps in this season using the 850 lamp
50 watts
5000 Keven
4800 lumens
85 cri <color rendering index>

the 54 watt lamp has an higher k but you loss on the lumens and cri
6500 k
4650 l
82 cri
the higher the cri the closer you are getting to true sunlight.
one thing to remember not all florescent lamp are the same, need to shop for them the box stores sell cheap lamps, for good ones go to a electrical supply house, most of the time they will break a case.

once everyone has germinated will lower the light to around 5-7" above the seedlings, closer the light the better you are not losing the k,l cri to empty space otherwise your plants will get leggy .one key note all florescent lights produce heat..!!!!

you need too keep the soil in the Goldilocks zone of 70*-80* a good small fan<s> are needed to keep the air moving otherwise you have a good chance of cooking the seedlings.
also keeping the air moving you have a lesser chance of growing green algae on top.

to the left hand corner is a little personal heater that is set on fan only, and on the right is an old computer tower cooling fan. this keeps the air moving all day long...
this weekend need to transplant both my tomatoes and Brussels sprouts into their 3" pots... and then finally into their 4" pots. hopefully get them into the ground in 4 weeks..
DSC_0016.JPG

in the far left tray have 3 types of butter lettuce, bok chio, kale they should be going out to the raised beds in about 2 weeks.

have the light and fans on a timer 14 hrs on,10 hrs off...
this system has worked for me for many years...you just need to figure whats going to work best for you!!!!!

happy garden this 2016 season......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like your set up, I don't do a lot of indoor seed growing because of the lack of room, if I had the room I wouldn't mind a set up like yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Ask a Question