Persian cucumber doesn't fully grow!

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
It has been a while that I have planted Persian cucumber. It started flowering quite fast. The very first flowers were not accompanied by cucumbers but soon after that, I got to see small cucumbers growing. The problem is that the cucumber flower dies after 2-3 days and as a consequence, the cucumber dies when it is as small as 2cm. I have attached a picture of it.

It is not under direct sunshine but it gets a lot of light throughout the day.

What could be the reason? The size of the container? Should I wait for more to fully grow? Or could it have any other cause?

Thanks
Moh
IMG_4388.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It has been a while that I have planted Persian cucumber. It started flowering quite fast. The very first flowers were not accompanied by cucumbers but soon after that, I got to see small cucumbers growing. The problem is that the cucumber flower dies after 2-3 days and as a consequence, the cucumber dies when it is as small as 2cm. I have attached a picture of it.

It is not under direct sunshine but it gets a lot of light throughout the day.

What could be the reason? The size of the container? Should I wait for more to fully grow? Or could it have any other cause?

Thanks
MohView attachment 39796
What you describe is non-pollination of the female flower. Yes, let more grow but if the same thing happens you will have to pollinate by hand to have any cucumbers. Your plant is still very small. You need pollinators such as bees and flies.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
What you describe is non-pollination of the female flower. Yes, let more grow but if the same thing happens you will have to pollinate by hand to have any cucumbers. Your plant is still very small. You need pollinators such as bees and flies.

Thanks Chuck. Do I need a male plant to pollinate?
Could you please guide me on pollinating by hand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. Do I need a male plant to pollinate?
Could you please guide me on pollinating by hand?
No, you do not need a second plant.
Get a small artists paint brush. When you have a male and female flower opened at the same time collect the pollen from the male flower by gently rubbing it around the inside of the flower. You will see a yellow powder on the bristles. Then rub the brush inside the female flower transferring the pollen from the brush onto the inside of the female flower. The male flower is the flower without a baby cucumber. The female flower will show a tiny cucumber at the end of the bloom. You may not have to do this. Just wait until you have a bunch of flowers and see what happens. Insects do a much better job of this than humans do.

Ask a Question