How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
Hahaha, that would have been kinda funny, I bet your friend would have looked at you like: 'whaaa?''. I know mine would have if they knew I was into gardening back then :p It's weird, most of the teens I met back then weren't interested in this kind of things. Glad to know I wasn't the only teen who was actually interested in growing things (y) By the way, I was a teen when I grew some cucumbers succesfully :LOL:(y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Teenage guilty secrets :D Imagine the chat up lines, "Hey Babe, wanna come and see my veg patch?" :D

Well done on the Cucumbers, i've still not grown them succesfully :)

Reaction score
But you are an expert gardener :eek: You have even grown sweetcorn! You have grown quite a lot things actually :D Things I might never grow (lack of green thumbs). Cucumbers are the only vegetable I've ever grown :oops:

You made me laugh a lot with that one :LOL:. Talking about teenage secrets... I used to play a MMORPG as a teen. They had several skills, but I loved gardening :D virtual gardening, lol. Ah, it doesn't sound as bad as you think :ROFLMAO: I actually loved to water my flower and vegetable patches there :p Others were fighting or completing quests in game :oops:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Arr, but Cucumbers are the Devil's own vegetable :D

Only grew some for the veg show, trouble is, they're mainly a greenhouse crop in the UK, but had to share the greenhouse with Tomatoes, which like different conditions.

Had to Google MMORPG :D

Reaction score
Ah, I was baffled :p:D Now that explains it all ;) I'd love to start growing my own tomatoes and cucumbers one day :love:

Hehehe, sorry about that, lol. No longer into that sort of things (y) MMORPGs are really fun for the first 6 years only :LOL::whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I started when had my own garden in our 2nd home when I was 25 married at 22 but first home was a flat with no garden now in 3rd home with a large garden.

But as a child help my dad in their garden.

Reaction score
That's awesome, scokat!!! I also started gardening as a kid :) Glad to hear you know have the garden of your dreams! I wish the same happens to me :) But for now it's all about flats for me :(

Reaction score
I believe I was about 16 when I started to garden mainly on my own. I like the idea of stepping outside, picking what I want, and then going back inside to cook.

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?

Reaction score
As the title says guys :) I'd like to know how old you were when you started gardening. For me it was very early, everything started when I was just 13 or 14 years old (maybe younger). It all started when my dad brought some cuttings for me to plant them in plant pots. I don't know why, but I felt very attracted to the idea of growing my own plants. Those were the first plants I grew:

Tradescantia.albiflora.(fluminensis).jpg

Tradescantia-pallida-3.gif

Tradescantia_fluminensis1.jpg

100_8983_2-tradescantia-zebrina.jpg

TradescantiaSilamontana2.jpg

Those are still my favorite plants to grow :) Once I move I'll start growing those asap... it will be such a pleasure :love: The sentimental value of those plants is very high for me. Those plants remind me of better times in my life... back when I was a teen with no worries :p

What about you guys? How old were you when you started gardening? How did you start gardening?
I started gardening late. I believe I was in my late 20s when I first started planting. Gardening was something I wanted to do. However, I hesitated to do it because I come from a family of talented gardeners. I didn't think I could keep up with my family. To my surprise, I turned out to be pretty good at it. I'm glad I found the confidence to start gardening. Now, I will never stop gardening because I love it so much.

Reaction score
That's a really inspirational story, cmkinney :) You didn't think you would be capable to keep you with your family, but you did :) I'm happy for you, gardening is a wonderful and enriching hobby! Sadly a lot people will never get to experience it :(

Reaction score
I believe I was about 16 when I started to garden mainly on my own. I like the idea of stepping outside, picking what I want, and then going back inside to cook.

So you mostly grow vegetables and fruits? I haven't dared to do that yet, because it sounds kinda tricky (pests and other garden critters). I'm not ready to grow edibles just yet :) It's be nice to prepare a nice salad with a fresh lettuce tho :)

Reaction score
So you mostly grow vegetables and fruits? I haven't dared to do that yet, because it sounds kinda tricky (pests and other garden critters). I'm not ready to grow edibles just yet :) It's be nice to prepare a nice salad with a fresh lettuce tho :)
I mostly grow herbs, actually! I am slowly venturing into vegetables and fruits. Potatoes are pretty hard to mess up, I hear, so at the moment I'm growing potatoes in a pot.

Reaction score
I was told that the first thing I grew was an avocado when I was 4. My mother and grandmother loved plants, so it was easy for me to think it was part of my nature. My grandmother had a urban garden in the middle of the ghetto. When I visited her garden it was like I wasn't in the ghetto. My parents raised us in the suburbs and we took care of houseplants, and a few flowers more so for the aesthetic and not functionality.

Reaction score
Awwww!!!!! So you grow it from a seed? I remember an experiment we did with an avocado seed a while ago, I was taught how to germinate one :) Did you do something like that?!!? It sounds like you had such a wonderful childhood, by the way... I have noticed most people over here have amazing childhood memories linked to gardening. Whenever I think of gardening and my childhood only good memories make it to the surface :)

Ask a Question