How old were you when you started gardening?

Reaction score
Great pictures. I started growing plants with my mom at home at a young age. I also remember growing plants in elementary school where we grew on the window sill. I particularly remember sprouting a sweet potato. Gardening gets in your blood and I have not quit since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure you will one day :) I could overcome my OCD, I'm sure you will be able to do so too. You know? My OCD was so bad I stopped leaving my house for a few months! Yup, my fear to germs and touching surfaces was really bad. Extreme actually. So as you can see is possible to overcome this :)

Yeah, that plan is very furry! When you touch it... it feels like you are touching a cat's ears :p
Thank you for sharing! It really gives me hope:) I'm able to leave the house, but it's not easy, especially since I'm scared not only of germs, but also of people:( As for the plant, I'd love to pet it, I'm sure it would remind me of my cute, little dog:)

Reaction score
Oh, you suffer from social phobia? or you are afraid of people in general? I ask because I suffer from social anxiety, my anxiety isn't very bad anymore tho; in the last months I seem to have gained some assertiveness :) Specially when doing things with other people. Have you ever seen a therapist? Just think how wonderful it would be to touch the soil with your hands :) By the way, do you wash your hands a lot too?? <---- This is an old OCD habit I haven't been able to tackle :p

Reaction score
Great pictures. I started growing plants with my mom at home at a young age. I also remember growing plants in elementary school where we grew on the window sill. I particularly remember sprouting a sweet potato. Gardening gets in your blood and I have not quit since.

Thanks, those pictures are not mine :) I just wanted to clarify that! A lot people has mentioned over here how beautiful those pictures are, but the credit isn't mine at all ;)

Do you still remember the first plants you started to grow with your mom. I believe very few people can actually remember that kind of things. I do tho :) Do you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, you suffer from social phobia? or you are afraid of people in general? I ask because I suffer from social anxiety, my anxiety isn't very bad anymore tho; in the last months I seem to have gained some assertiveness :) Specially when doing things with other people. Have you ever seen a therapist? Just think how wonderful it would be to touch the soil with your hands :) By the way, do you wash your hands a lot too?? <---- This is an old OCD habit I haven't been able to tackle :p
Yes, I wash my hands a lot and yes, I was seeing a therapist some time ago. To be honest, it didn't help me at all.
I think I do suffer from a social phobia. I really don't like talking to most people. I don't feel good if I have to spend time with them. But I forced myself to gain some social skills and now, I can pretend that I'm just like everybody else
clear.png
:p:cool:

I forgot to mention that before I received my first rose, I had had a small daffodil in my room. It didn't grow well though, I don't remember what happened to it. When I was a teenager, I didn't care about plants:(

Reaction score
What a beautiful story, Shelly Ann :) It sounds like a really pleasant memory, it's amazing how an activity as simple as this one can help to create so many special moments. I can almost picture you and your aunt singing ''Hit the road Jack'', I actually have that song in my mind right now, lol. It's really sounded like a lot of work!

I'm glad you rediscovered gardening tho :) It's better later than never ;) By the way, all those plants are known as ''wandering jew'' plants. They're ''Tradescantias'' ; I love them :love:

Yes wonderful memories. Thank you for making me think of them. I didn't do too much work. I enjoyed playing with my mudpies but I know my Mama and aunt sure toiled in that garden. After I wrote that post I was singing "Hit the Road Jack" the rest of the day. LOL

I am so glad I rediscovered gardening as well. It has a special place in my heart as do all of my memories. I thought they were named Wandering Jew but I did not slip that in because I was not sure. Thank you for telling me. :D

Reaction score
I wish I could remember the first thing I ever grew. I do remember when I first moved into a house of my own, my grandma invited me to dig up a bunch of her flowers. I transplanted so much stuff, my yard was like a huge botanical garden. Definitely, the prettiest in the neighborhood!

I remember when my mom had a big garden, when I was small, seeing okra for the first time. I had always eaten fried okra, but to see it in the plant state was amusing. It was so furry and itchy to my hands.

I am sorry to hear about your OCD. Just work on things little by little, and maybe you can overcome it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was about 7, neighbour gave me some Beetroot thinnings which I grew on, I must have carried on with growing veg as I recently remembered feeding my girlfriend homegrown Sweetcorn when I was a teenager.

Reaction score
Wow! You were really young when you started! What's up with men growing vegetables? It seems most men I know that are into gardening only focus on growing vegetables :D It's very cool you fed your then girlfriend with some homegrown sweetcorn (y)

Reaction score
I wish I could remember the first thing I ever grew. I do remember when I first moved into a house of my own, my grandma invited me to dig up a bunch of her flowers. I transplanted so much stuff, my yard was like a huge botanical garden. Definitely, the prettiest in the neighborhood!

I remember when my mom had a big garden, when I was small, seeing okra for the first time. I had always eaten fried okra, but to see it in the plant state was amusing. It was so furry and itchy to my hands.

I am sorry to hear about your OCD. Just work on things little by little, and maybe you can overcome it.

Hi Miriam! Don't worry, I think most people don't remember that ;) I remember mine because well.. the name of those plants was so, err, funny :LOL: By the way, that sounds like a really wonderful experience :) I wish my future father-in-law invites me to do that with his tulips :whistle:

OMG!!! I loooke okra!!!! I eat it back when I was living abroad! How do you prepare your okra? I liked to prepare mine with some tomato brooth, some lamb and onions :) It's amazing!

As for the OCD... no worries, it's under control (y) It took me several years (no meds), but it was worth it!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! You were really young when you started! What's up with men growing vegetables? It seems most men I know that are into gardening only focus on growing vegetables :D It's very cool you fed your then girlfriend with some homegrown sweetcorn (y)

It's the hunter gatherer instinct :D

I remember getting the water on the boil before picking it (it was long before you could get the super sweet varieties) She said she'd never tasted such sweet corn :)

I find it funny looking back that whilst in the full throws of adolescence, wine women & song, I still found the time to grow food :D

Reaction score
Here in the South, we only fix okra one way. You bread it and fry it! :) However, the way you said to fix it sounds yummy. My mom had a boyfriend once, that grew everything. He just kept adding to the garden and she couldn't keep up. Which is saying something, because my mom loves to garden.

Reaction score
I find it funny looking back that whilst in the full throws of adolescence, wine women & song, I still found the time to grow food :D

That's exactly what I thought, lol! How a teen could find time or interest to do that :eek: Your passion for vegetable growing must have been huge ;) The hunter gatheterer instinct? Now that explains a lot, loll... why we, women, seem to focus more on flowers :giggle:

Reaction score
Here in the South, we only fix okra one way. You bread it and fry it! :) However, the way you said to fix it sounds yummy. My mom had a boyfriend once, that grew everything. He just kept adding to the garden and she couldn't keep up. Which is saying something, because my mom loves to garden.

OMG!!!!! That sounds delicious!!!! I never thought of breading it and frying it!!! Oh my... I've thought of doing that to squashes, but never to okra!~= I'm sure it tastes amazing! Over here we don't see okra often, and when we do I feel very glad! That thing is delicious! That guy sounds like a dream come true ;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's exactly what I thought, lol! How a teen could find time or interest to do that :eek: Your passion for vegetable growing must have been huge ;) The hunter gatheterer instinct? Now that explains a lot, loll... why we, women, seem to focus more on flowers :giggle:

:D Don't think I used to talk about my Cabbages down the pub, but I was inspired by my friends parents allotment, we had to look after it while they were away & I was amazed at just how much good tasting food they were growing.

Ask a Question