Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary So nice to see you here! That's a dephinium. As my plants are so clammed, I nearly killed (in fact, I might have! :cry:!) taking this photo. I bought tons when they were £1 per tray with about 6 to 8 in a tray. I tell you, that was one of my BEST buys (well, I AM an experienced scavenger! LOL! Force of circumstances!) They have lovely lilac, light blue, pristine white and this confused beauty .. The colour combination is just SO DIFFERENT! I was stupid enough to remove the main stalks of some and so the light blue ones sulked me and I have had only the lilac ones. Then this lone flower opened this morning and I quite like the strange arrays of colours.

I agree with you, that's a small or lovely flower for a big plant. But the yellow is stunning.

What a gorgeous sunset sur l'eau! That's all the French I have.. Tell me that your place is hot and humid so that I don't have to dream living there. Always love a stretch of water. I would sit up to enjoy various stretches of water while travelling in car.. and go WOW!

Hi to you, @johnny canoe . How's everything going?

I would like to be a blackbird in your garden, @Logan Feast every day this week.. !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello alp,
Things are good here. Very dry and hot but the smoke has cleared off for now. Been neglecting my daily bike rides so I just hopped on my bike and did a bird feeding down along the river. Been trimming back petunias but not all at once, gotta keep some blooms around.
Your flower pics are great as always alp.
P1040635.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Back :) Trying to shake off the post holiday blues..well it all has to end somewhere.......Good news is I'm getting stuck into the garden but feeling a little tired...Greenhouse didnt suffer too much just lost a few lettuce and the odd bunch of toms due to me not being there to tie to stakes. Chilli's doing well, Cucumber have exploded onto the scene and had to transplant....Garden cut and edged, boarders all done....so all is almost back to pre holiday tidiness.....Summat is chewing my new Buddleia so not impressed with that and needs addressing...so all in all I've come away pretty much unscathed.....I will be laying my new stone step at the weekend wish me luck with that one lol it weighs a bloomin ton...no kidding......Below is me getting ideas for the garden...the next project is a Japanese style pergola for over the pond..(thinking Wisteria)...so will be buying timber for that this week and cant wait to get going....lots of rearranging to do in that section of the garden....so like a wheel barrow...its all in front of me :)

p.s......Yes we really did buy a pair of stone sheep for the front step decor baaaaaa!

Amble.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Apache F1 Chilli plant...fruit starting to ripen

20170725_172249.jpg

Soon I might be able to make up a little bottle of medium heat sauce after all :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Love it all BigC. I want to come back from vacation like you do! I usually come home to laundry and a dirty cat box. Hehe

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe Glad that you don't have to put up with the foul air. Air in my house has been very good today, and thank heavens that I have had a bit of respite, a bit of rain and suddenly it was so cold at noon that I was shivering and had to cover myself with a duvet. Then bang, the weather has heated up and now it is so pleasant. Tomorrow is going to be sunny and I am going to weed and I hope you've a bit of respite from the heat.

Lovely wildlife .. I must go to the park and compare our notes! Still waiting for the tiling to finish .. Yawn...

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC Can't blame you having the sheep. Make sure they are not stolen though. In law used to have a stature at the end of the garden, bordering a seawall and some holiday makers must have made away with the stature and left them with an angry cat! They are lovely and I would like to feel their heads and their coats - different interesting texture.

@tbendl Same here - back from holiday = lots of laundry ...and an immediate inspection of the garden ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC Can't blame you having the sheep. Make sure they are not stolen though. In law used to have a stature at the end of the garden, bordering a seawall and some holiday makers must have made away with the stature and left them with an angry cat! They are lovely and I would like to feel their heads and their coats - different interesting texture..
Did cross my mind @alp...but I dare not bolt into that new stone step and chain them up hahahaha...she'd kill me

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What are the sheep made of, granite? or processed concrete materials. Nowadays, they have something synthetic but look like stone or concrete, but clearly is not pure stone? They must weigh a ton!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What are the sheep made of, granite? or processed concrete materials. Nowadays, they have something synthetic but look like stone or concrete, but clearly is not pure stone? They must weigh a ton!
Haha you noticed they are a processed concrete/cement head and body and granite chippings for the wool coat effect...you could have had slate too but it was a little rough and sharp if kids are around....They looked really eyecatching on display and if you place a few rocks and stone chippings around them they really stand out....

20170723_121026.jpg

The wife liked them.....she bought them....I'm just the donkey who had to carry them....yes they are heavy :( .....very heavy

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are so cute .. You two are kids at heart! Beeping of Yorkshire! Love Yorkshire .. very postman pat-y with roads going up and down .. coming from the very flat Essex, I just loved the rise and fall of the landscape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are so cute .. You two are kids at heart! Beeping of Yorkshire! Love Yorkshire .. very postman pat-y with roads going up and down .. coming from the very flat Essex, I just loved the rise and fall of the landscape.
Shes a Yorkshire Lass so with the new front step and a few sheep around maybe the mock Dales diorama will make her feel like James Herriot is just a few fields away :)

Just one thing wrong they all look to the right...every one of them...I would have prefered a righty/lefty .my OCD is getting the better of me on this one

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I know. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw James Herriot's country. I never knew he existed. All I knew was that there was a TV programme and the name was that of a character or that the story was based in Yorkshire .. I should get out more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw James Herriot's country. I never knew he existed. All I knew was that there was a TV programme and the name was that of a character or that the story was based in Yorkshire .. I should get out more!
I think you should.:)

Ask a Question