Old Wisteria

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our cottage December 2023 and are just now seeing our wisteria in bloom. The only problem is that it isn’t as nice as it could be (very few flowers) and seems to just be out of control.

The tree (this thing has outgrown plant status) is situated on the front of our house and comes up and over our bay window, then over our porch area before whipping off at the left side of our house.

The main stem/branch/trunk is probably around 4 inches thick, and there are a hell of a lot of smaller yet still sturdy branches that all follow in one direction over the porch. It looks messy.

My query is: can I cut this thing right back to just the main stem with a couple of healthier smaller branches going along the width of our house? The main stem also encroaches somewhat onto our bay window but is too thick to bend. How can I solve this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here are images for reference. Id like to cut it back so it resembles the wisteria in the last image

Attachments

• IMG_6334.jpeg
    IMG_6334.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6335.jpeg
    IMG_6335.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6336.jpeg
    IMG_6336.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6337.jpeg
    IMG_6337.jpeg