How to create a barrier around Marigolds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Blueberry bushes and an apple tree.
I have mats around them to prevent grass from growing around them but they are expensive at $10 a piece.
What method can I use for marigolds that is affordable but also a sure way to prevent grass from growing around them but I can also see to avoid when mowing the grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The easiest thing to do is dig a circle around your plants big enough for them to survive, and keep the ground weeded and watered. You can always add mulch as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The easiest thing to do is dig a circle around your plants big enough for them to survive, and keep the ground weeded and watered. You can always add mulch as well.
Are all mulches the same? I tried mulch with my tree and bushes and grab ended up growing around them.
Is there a trick I'm missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No they're not all the same. I use peat or compost, or chipped bark, mostly the latter. Put plenty on and it will gradually rot down and help the soil.
It's no good expecting to do a job in the garden once, and then thinking you don't have to keep it up. Hand weeding and clipping grass with shears is needed sometimes. It's all part of the enjoyment of gardening.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Are all mulches the same? I tried mulch with my tree and bushes and grab ended up growing around them.
Is there a trick I'm missing?
If you hoe a circle free of weeds around them and give them a four-inch mulch of chips or straw, you'll have the best protected marigolds in the USA.
It's actually best to develop a 'working class- rough' style and let the marigolds compete with the weeds. ;) Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question