How to create magical winter garden in 2023 ?

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello Family,

This is my once again but I have a question about the winter garden, do you have any ideas? Winter is just around the corner this is a time of great changes in the garden and increased care for plants. Do you have any ideas what trees/shrubs/plants will add charm to the garden and will also be able to survive the frosty weather?
Thank you in advance for your ideas and have a nice day to all readers :)

My own photo to attract attention :)
IMG_2128.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Only pick those that handle your Zone. Pick those that have a 3 to 4 season interest. Pick the trees that have pretty trunks when the leaves are gone. Pick plants that have neat seed pods. Some plants with have left over dried up flowers that look pretty with snow on them. Pick shrubs that have late winter appearing berries. Witchhazels are nice to explore, they come in various shapes and colors. Some conifers are awesome, again explore them. (blue conifers with white snow on them---lovely). Some taller grasses look awesome with snow on them. Its a mater of research. Have fun.

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Only pick those that handle your Zone. Pick those that have a 3 to 4 season interest. Pick the trees that have pretty trunks when the leaves are gone. Pick plants that have neat seed pods. Some plants with have left over dried up flowers that look pretty with snow on them. Pick shrubs that have late winter appearing berries. Witchhazels are nice to explore, they come in various shapes and colors. Some conifers are awesome, again explore them. (blue conifers with white snow on them---lovely). Some taller grasses look awesome with snow on them. Its a mater of research. Have fun.
Thank you very much for your answer. I will take all comments and tips to keep in mind when creating a winter garden. I hope that I will be able to create something unique and I will be happy to share the final result soon. Once again thank you for answer and Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If you can get the shrub called Callicarpia, its a beauty, while the tiny white flowers that bloom in the early summer are not much of a show the fall and winter appearance of the beautiful gathering of purple berries are awesome especially with a good snow fall on them. But, birds do like the berries. Some years the birds will leave me enough to have the beautiful visual. And its shape is a nice weeping effect.

Reaction score
Country
Poland
If you can get the shrub called Callicarpia, its a beauty, while the tiny white flowers that bloom in the early summer are not much of a show the fall and winter appearance of the beautiful gathering of purple berries are awesome especially with a good snow fall on them. But, birds do like the berries. Some years the birds will leave me enough to have the beautiful visual. And its shape is a nice weeping effect.
Thank you very much. I will take all your advice into account when creating a winter garden. Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
forgot one shrub that is so neat in the winter. Its the red twig dog wood. When bare against the white snow its awesome. and even more awesome if encased with ice. Have a picture somewhere of that, the red twigs with ice around them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is ok to plant an established shrub or tree at this time of year as long as the ground is not frozen. Bare root roses, and trees etc are best planted now whilst they are in a dormant stage.
Springtime and summer is best for taking cuttings.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For a winter garden that thrives and charms even in the cold:

Evergreens Keep it green with spruce, fir, or boxwood.
Interesting Bark Birch trees stand out with their striking white bark.
Berry Shrubs Holly and winterberry add color and help feed birds.
Winter Bloomers Hellebores can flower in the snow for some unexpected beauty.
Ornamental Grasses They bring texture and movement to the dormant garden.

Mix these up for a garden that stays lively all winter long!

Reaction score
Country
Poland
For a winter garden that thrives and charms even in the cold:

Evergreens Keep it green with spruce, fir, or boxwood.
Interesting Bark Birch trees stand out with their striking white bark.
Berry Shrubs Holly and winterberry add color and help feed birds.
Winter Bloomers Hellebores can flower in the snow for some unexpected beauty.
Ornamental Grasses They bring texture and movement to the dormant garden.

Mix these up for a garden that stays lively all winter long!
Thank you very much for your help! sounds great ! :) Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
Country
Poland
forgot one shrub that is so neat in the winter. Its the red twig dog wood. When bare against the white snow its awesome. and even more awesome if encased with ice. Have a picture somewhere of that, the red twigs with ice around them.
Thank you very much ! I will try to buy it :)

Ask a Question