Want to create layers of greenery along fence

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello! I love the secret garden look, but I only have the outer edges of my yard to work with (the lawn must remain, unfortunately). So I want to make the best of it by creating layers of greenery along the fence. The side that I'm working with has a chain link fence facing south. It gets full sun.

Any suggestions for how to do this? I started some virginia creeper along the fence last fall, but it won't give me the height I want. maybe I can start a tall, thin hedge along the fence, and then plant other things in front of it? Or maybe there's a way to intersperse the creeper wall with an uneven line of cedars or other evergreen to create depth (and hopefully the feeling of endless forest?!), and scatter wildflowers, river rocks and smaller bushes at the base? I am in zone 5b (southern Ontario) and am not the most experienced gardener, although my husband is, and he will be doing the actual planting. I am very motivated to mulch, weed and water, and I put down really good soil last fall that's full of worm casings. Thank you for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.
Hedges spread outwards. They are also slow growing.

Here in the UK we have smaller gardens, most have six ft fences separating them from next door's.

An ideal plant is a wisteria.

P1020682.JPG

Blooms in the spring.

"Fence covering foliage" in the summer and autumn.

P1040615.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
We appreciate your ideas but we will suggest you to use Climbing plants and it's a popular choice for garden design, porch and front yard decorating, arbors and green fence design and if you want to take our services then contact us for more information.

Ask a Question