Will these branches create too much shade for sweet peas to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Its a south facing fence I was planning on growing sweet peas up the fence but there are trees in front of them that have branched out quite alot, will there be enough sun to let sweet peas grow well or should I look for something else to grow there instead

First pic is of the fence, second pic is of the trees which are right in front of them

Attachments

• 20180417_190621.jpg
    20180417_190621.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 20180417_190629.jpg
    20180417_190629.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Panda , Sweet Peas are not to fussy as far as soil go's as long as they get a fair bit of sun they are ok. Have you considered, Clematis or A Climbing rose or even better both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Panda , Sweet Peas are not to fussy as far as soil go's as long as they get a fair bit of sun they are ok. Have you considered, Clematis or A Climbing rose or even better both

Yeah I got my first bare root roses this year :) I have the climbing rose beside the back door though, I was thinking of doing the sweet pea along this wall because it's on the other side of the fence where no one can see and the chickens can't get at them, but will the trees allow in enough sunlight through all the branches to let the sweet peas grow plenty of flowers? Would trimming off the branches help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry what I meant to ask was if this was still a full sun position since there are so many branches filtering bits of sunlight or if that doesn't matter? And if the branches would affect the amount of flowers produced by sweet peas over the season to know if it's worth sawing them off or possibly just some of them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for slow reply. If You have a few seed Or young plants Its worth a try I guess(y) as long as they are getting a fair bit of sun

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thinning out the trees' branches would help. From your second picture it seems they have been badly pruned (blunt cuts with lots of small, weak limbs called water sprouts coming out of the cut limbs.)
If possible, remove the trees. If not, have someone who knows trees prune them properly and open up the canopy.
Sweet peas are lovely, but will probably need more sun than they would get under existing circumstances.

Ask a Question