Should I remove side branches? (Pepper Plant)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for reading :).

As the title suggests, I am wondering if it's necessary to remove the side shoots?
I don't think that we have enough time left in this growing season for any more branches to start fruiting, so, I'm wondering if they are just using up extra resources that could be going directly to the fruiting branches?

If I were to prune all of the side branches, would I lose any fruit as a result of stress or lack of foliage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it has open blooms we might still have enough time for it to set fruit and ripen. It won't make much difference whether you prune or not. My peppers are still blooming and setting fruit on all branches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it has open blooms we might still have enough time for it to set fruit and ripen. It won't make much difference whether you prune or not. My peppers are still blooming and setting fruit on all branches.

Well, I don't see any indication of fruiting on these branches at least for a few weeks (or however long it takes to produce more fruiting shoots).

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Since I have you here, to prevent having to create a new thread, would taking clone from a pepper plant reduce the quality or number of fruit I would get with that new plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I don't see any indication of fruiting on these branches at least for a few weeks (or however long it takes to produce more fruiting shoots).

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Since I have you here, to prevent having to create a new thread, would taking clone from a pepper plant reduce the quality or number of fruit I would get with that new plant?
No

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
With pepper, I don't think it likes to be pruned because it is a small plant unlike the bigger plants that are actually small trees like sugar apple and lemon. If I were you, I would just let the pepper do its thing. Our pepper plant in the backyard is more than a year of fruiting already and it never runs out of red ripe fruits that our neighbors would always ask for - most of our neighbors love pepper so they always knock on our gate for a pepper or two. With enough water, your pepper will continue to give you fruits as long as the season allows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With pepper, I don't think it likes to be pruned because it is a small plant unlike the bigger plants that are actually small trees like sugar apple and lemon. If I were you, I would just let the pepper do its thing. Our pepper plant in the backyard is more than a year of fruiting already and it never runs out of red ripe fruits that our neighbors would always ask for - most of our neighbors love pepper so they always knock on our gate for a pepper or two. With enough water, your pepper will continue to give you fruits as long as the season allows.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions/tips! :)

Ask a Question