Can you put weights on branches of prunus kanzan to shape tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. i have read about gardeners using weights to share fruit trees - does anyone know or have an opinion if you could weigh down the branches of a 10 - 15 year old prunus kanzan which is almost completely upright having just come from a commercial nursery? i want to weigh the branches down to encourage and outwards spread rather than the upright vase shape. are there any risks to doing this? i read that as soon as you spread a branch it reduces its vigour? or would it simply not work with this type of tree anyway?
thank you in advance
ps if it does work can you buy weights for this purpose and if not what would you use?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We spread branches by forcing then away from the main trunk with spreaders. We take a piece of 2"x4" that is about a foot long, cut a semi-circle out of each end, pad the semi-circles with a piece of old garden hose, and force the branch out as far as possible without damage. The other end goes against the trunk. As the branch goes away from the trunk, the brace can be moved to make more of an outward spread.
Here is a link showing what commercial spreaders look like: https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/fruit-tree-care-using-tree-limb-spreaders
I prefer our home-made spreaders since the size of the brace can be modified to the tree (and it's cheaper!).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marlingardener
Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a helpful and informative reply. So do you think I could use these limb spreaders effectively on a prunus kanzan ? If they work on fruit trees can I assume they will work on the kanzan ?
Thanks so much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Totorara, a tree is basically a tree, so the spreaders will work on your kanzan, which is a cherry tree cultivar. I looked it up, and the tree gets more of "spread" as it matures. Yours is 10 to 15 years old? That seems almost mature--the tree is supposed to approach 7.5 meters at age 20.
If you use the spreaders, just make sure the are not damaging the bark on either the trunk or the branches. That's why we have ours padded, and the garden hose stands up to weather better than fabric.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it, you have just purchased this 10 - 15 year old tree Totorara. Is this right? Kanzan for me is a naturally spreading tree and I think it will spread in your garden without weights. Wind, rain, the environment, space, etc., will all contribute to Kanzan developing as it should
As for "weights".....it is a way of producing fruiting spurs by weighing down some near vertical shoots. (y)

Ask a Question