Why would anyone cut off a sapling's branches?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a maple sapling whose owners planted it just over a year ago. It grew normally until last autumn when all its little branches were cut away, leaving it a stick. Last spring, it grew new branches and leaves, then shop up like pigweed in the night. Then, just two weeks ago, all its branches and leaves were again hacked off.

Is this some kind of pruning that I've never heard of? It seems to survive and bounce back in the spring. I just can't fathom why anyone would plant a tree, only to lop off its branches in the autumn.

Thank you.
poor sapling.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have no idea why, but after seeing what some folks do to trees, I am no longer surprised at tree butchery.
Perhaps they wanted a palm tree, and couldn't afford one?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe they didn't want to sweep the leaves up in the autumn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

That is a very strange thing to do to a young tree - is it the owners doing it or someone else do you think? Maybe there is another neighbour who doesn't want a tree planted there for some reason!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a strange thing to do to a tree, indeed! I probably would have trim the top to keep it bushy at the trunk rather than having a skeleton like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I suppose the only thing they were thinking was to stimulate growth, but a young tree like that should be growing on its own. I wouldn't think it would need extra "help" like that. I think most people would be content to just let their saplings grow without such barbarism! Anyway, I hope the tree does OK.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The owner of the tree may not be aware of care the tree needs and feel that cutting the branches is the way to help it grow. Hopefully you will see the owner and can give them a hint or two.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is not an uncommon occurrence. There is a pathway I have seen near a rural town which is frequented by people travelling to neighbouring villages. The owner had planted eucalyptus saplings. He had to put warning signs as some people seemed to have a fetish for getting into other people's nerves if they can get away with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks to me like some kids just came along and stripped the leaves. Does the neighborhood have a problem with that sort of thing? Maybe this neighbor has an enemy? I kind of doubt anyone did this on purpose to his own tree, though after two years of that, the poor thing might have trouble bouncing back from it. I'd speak to the neighbor, but I'll bet he's not the one who's doing it.

Ask a Question