Mixing lawn seed with topsoil with added chicken manure as fertiliser. What ratios?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I’m looking to sow lawn seed using a mix of seed, topsoil and chicken manure. I did this a while ago at a previous property and the grass grew really well. However I can’t remember what ratios I used. Does anyone have experience using such a mix and what ratios did you use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, welcome. I agree with Logan, and there is no need at all to put any fertiliser in with a seed mix. It is a total waste of time and money. Seeds of any kind really don't want fertiliser at all.
If you feel the need to fertilise at all, it's better to do it when the grass has grown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1 lb of nitrogen per 1,000 sq ft is usually what I see recommended to put on lawns/grass.

Chicken manure should work out about the same as using 33 lbs per 1,000 sq ft. That is not counting your topsoil and seed weight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, welcome. I agree with Logan, and there is no need at all to put any fertiliser in with a seed mix. It is a total waste of time and money. Seeds of any kind really don't want fertiliser at all.
If you feel the need to fertilise at all, it's better to do it when the grass has grown.
Thank you. Great advice. What ratio of seed to top soil would you mix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. Great advice. What ratio of seed to top soil would you mix?
We don't mix any soil at all. It's not really that complicated. We prepare the soil as it is, and break it up a bit with a rake after it is dug over and weeded. Then chuck the seeds on the top as evenly as possible (adding extra ones for the birds) and wait for the sun to shine and the drizzle to water it all. After that we totally ignore it until we notice it's all turned green and we need to get the mower out. After that we mow it a few times with the blades high, and then at least once a week after that.
Nothing grows as easily as grass. Any patches where the birds have been a bit too greedy can be re seeded at any time.
We don't feed it or water it (unless it's exceptionally dry) and I don't think that will happen where you live :giggle:

Ask a Question