Question about mixing cantaloupe types in a small garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two mounds about three feet apart on which I have planted two different types of cantaloupe (two vines on each mound). The cantaloupe types are 1) Delicious and 2) Charentais. As cantaloupes do, the vines have spread everywhere and the vines of the two cantaloupe types have intermixed. One of the types, the Charentais, has produced about 8 small fruits, ranging from about 3" long (oblong shaped) to about the size of a softball. None are ripe. On the other hand, the Delicious type has produced 0 viable fruit, despite having about the same amount of vining and blossoms as the Charentais. Honey bees have been active on the blossoms for about a week. My question is this: Can one type of cantaloupe, in this case, the Charentais, "suppress" another variety (Delicious) and keep it from producing fruit, if they are so close together? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No. It is a varietal issue. The delicious will soon have fruit too. What will happen though is that the two varieties will cross and the seeds from this years crop will be hybridized. The fruit won't be affected only the seeds will.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great! Thanks very much for your response. I'll be patient with the Delicious. The tip about the hybridization is helpful, too! I may keep a few seeds from the fruit and plant them next year, although I've read that hybrid fruit quality can be "hit and miss," especially with two types that are pretty different. From what I understand, the Charentais is a true cantaloupe whereas the Delicious is more of a "musk melon."

Ask a Question