Yellowing Blueberry Bushes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've started a garden for the first time in my life and this is one of the problems I've faced. My blueberry bush leaves on some of my plants have turned yellow. I did just prune them at the start of this year. I'm no expert, but I think I did all right. I've also added horse manure and, when they turned yellow, chicken manure with wood chips. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix and/or save them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the pH of the soil to start with. 9 times out of 10 with blueberries it is a pH problem.

Don't use manure on blueberries or city water or well water. Those tend to raise the pH of the soil and blueberries like an acidic soil. Wood chips I'm not sure. I use pine straw to mulch with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Yum-Yum, It's probably the wrong PH. I tried growing blueberries without making sure the soil was the right PH and had bad results. So, this year I'm preparing the soil where the new plants will be planted next spring. I've read it could take a year to get the soil PH down to 4.5-5 using sulpher, sphagnum peat moss and pine chips so I started last March on it. Hoping for the best.
Good luck with yours.

Ask a Question