Tomato leaves yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tomato plants were doing great for a few months. We've had and will continue to have a few hot day streaks in my 10a region.

Im seeing yellow leaves on 2 of them. One of them have weird spots on some of the green leaves.

Note that they are near a wilting salvia Red Swing.

Can you help identify why the leaves are yellowing?

PXL_20230701_143636370.jpg

PXL_20230701_143643972.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230701_143636370.jpg
    PXL_20230701_143636370.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It is probably a nutrient deficiency.

What and how are you using for fertilizer and when was the last time you added fertilizer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Prune that yellowed leaf branch off in the second picture and inspect the cut section of the stem. It should be nice light green. Hollowed pith or brown spots in the vascular system indicate disease. If not then those leaves probably aren't getting enough sunlight.

The first picture looks like a another problem. That is what verticillium wilt looks like as the first signs in my garden. The brown patches start at the bottom and work their ways up, sometimes skipping a branch. Not saying it is but keep and eye on that. If so, regular fertilization will prolong the life of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Prune that yellowed leaf branch off in the second picture and inspect the cut section of the stem. It should be nice light green. Hollowed pith or brown spots in the vascular system indicate disease. If not then those leaves probably aren't getting enough sunlight.

The first picture looks like a another problem. That is what verticillium wilt looks like as the first signs in my garden. The brown patches start at the bottom and work their ways up, sometimes skipping a branch. Not saying it is but keep and eye on that. If so, regular fertilization will prolong the life of the plant.
Thanks for the details!

I cut both branches from the 2 pics the day I made this post.

The branch from the 2nd pic had nice green stem. It's a bit confusing because we have had blasting sun the last couple of weeks. This branch WAS the lowest so maybe it had been quite shaded.

Will keep an eye out on the other plant. It's been a few days since and I haven't seen any more weird symptoms. Fingers crossed.

These plants are fertilized every other week.

Ask a Question