Yellowing Cuc leaves deficiency or just sunburn/wind damage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy!

Been a while since I posted, I hope everyone's having a successful season! This cucumber plant has been through a lot, it fell off it's trellis once it started bearing fruit, so I had to untangle what I could and pin it back up. But the yellowing didn't occur for weeks after that, so I don't think it's related. Some of the leaves look like they have some sort of deficiency, and now my cucs have a sliiiiiight yellow tint to them (though I may be letting them get too big). Like, they were dark beautiful green before, now the last few I've pulled have been a lighter green with hints of yellow. Could this be a simple lack of iron, or too much water? It's getting into the 100s now, so it's hard to imagine that only now it would be upset with getting the same amount of water its been receiving (from a drip irrigation timer). My apologies, I didn't think to get a picture of one of the cucumbers! I can post one this evening when I get home.

Thanks!
IMG_8052.jpeg
IMG_8051.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Howdy!

Been a while since I posted, I hope everyone's having a successful season! This cucumber plant has been through a lot, it fell off it's trellis once it started bearing fruit, so I had to untangle what I could and pin it back up. But the yellowing didn't occur for weeks after that, so I don't think it's related. Some of the leaves look like they have some sort of deficiency, and now my cucs have a sliiiiiight yellow tint to them (though I may be letting them get too big). Like, they were dark beautiful green before, now the last few I've pulled have been a lighter green with hints of yellow. Could this be a simple lack of iron, or too much water? It's getting into the 100s now, so it's hard to imagine that only now it would be upset with getting the same amount of water its been receiving (from a drip irrigation timer). My apologies, I didn't think to get a picture of one of the cucumbers! I can post one this evening when I get home.

Thanks!View attachment 97673View attachment 97674View attachment 97675
With the extreme heat we have been having growing good cucs becomes somewhat of a challenge. In your case I think you are using too much nitrogen as evidenced by the super green leaves. It could also be that too much nitrogen is limiting the uptake of minerals such as iron and magnesium as evidenced by the yellowing with green veins. I pulled my cucumbers because I had plenty and also because of the high heat. When cucs are submitted to continuous high heat they get bitter tasting and good pollination becomes iffy at best. If your cucs are getting a slight yellowing you are leaving them on the vine too long. You can probably maintain your vine but before long the fruit won't be very tasty. If you want to do this I would give them a dose of Chelated Iron.

Ask a Question