Dekopon seedling yellowing leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I found a couple of seeds in a Sumo citrus mandarin I purchased back in February of this year and I decided to plant them using miracle grow moisture control potting soil. Two seedlings ended up sprouting from one of the seeds on March 13th and were growing well until the end of March when a neighbor’s cat knocked over the pot while I was away at work. I ended up separating the trees and repotting them separately and they have had no growth since then. I’m concerned because not only have they had no new growth, their leaves are starting to look much more yellow than they were last month. Since it’s been pretty cloudy for the past month and a half I purchased a grow light and hung it about 6 inches above the seedlings to provide them with light. I also purchased Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer and have applied it twice so far. Once last month, and once today. I usually use a spray bottle to water the trees once every couple of days and I don’t soak the soil. I usually keep the pots outside during the day and bring them into the house at night to protect them but this past week I’ve been keeping them inside the house under the grow light because it’s been cloudy and I was worried that if it rained while I was at work the soil would become soaked and develop root rot. Both seedlings are about 2 inches tall. Should I be concerned at this time?

Attachments

• IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8583.jpeg
    IMG_8583.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9164.jpeg
    IMG_9164.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9165.jpeg
    IMG_9165.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9263.jpeg
    IMG_9263.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9262.jpeg
    IMG_9262.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9261.jpeg
    IMG_9261.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9260.jpeg
    IMG_9260.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9259.jpeg
    IMG_9259.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9258.jpeg
    IMG_9258.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9264.jpeg
    IMG_9264.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

I found a couple of seeds in a Sumo citrus mandarin I purchased back in February of this year and I decided to plant them using miracle grow moisture control potting soil. Two seedlings ended up sprouting from one of the seeds on March 13th and were growing well until the end of March when a neighbor’s cat knocked over the pot while I was away at work. I ended up separating the trees and repotting them separately and they have had no growth since then. I’m concerned because not only have they had no new growth, their leaves are starting to look much more yellow than they were last month. Since it’s been pretty cloudy for the past month and a half I purchased a grow light and hung it about 6 inches above the seedlings to provide them with light. I also purchased Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer and have applied it twice so far. Once last month, and once today. I usually use a spray bottle to water the trees once every couple of days and I don’t soak the soil. I usually keep the pots outside during the day and bring them into the house at night to protect them but this past week I’ve been keeping them inside the house under the grow light because it’s been cloudy and I was worried that if it rained while I was at work the soil would become soaked and develop root rot. Both seedlings are about 2 inches tall. Should I be concerned at this time?
They need nitrogen. Get a small container of blood meal and start feeding with that and the fish for 2 or 3 feedings. You must start watering deeply and fertilizing at the same time in order for the roots to grow deeper. Too much water will NOT hurt a plant. It is when the oxygen in the soil is depleted by continued watering that the problems arise. When you water, soak the soil and then do not water again until the top inch or two is DRY and then soak again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They need nitrogen. Get a small container of blood meal and start feeding with that and the fish for 2 or 3 feedings. You must start watering deeply and fertilizing at the same time in order for the roots to grow deeper. Too much water will NOT hurt a plant. It is when the oxygen in the soil is depleted by continued watering that the problems arise. When you water, soak the soil and then do not water again until the top inch or two is DRY and then soak again.
Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your reply! How often should I apply the blood meal and the fish fertilizer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your reply! How often should I apply the blood meal and the fish fertilizer?
As soon as the leaves turn a healthy green stop with the blood meal. Continue with the fish emulsion @ 1/2 the recommended rate until you see rapid growth and then switch to full strength. Once a week is probably plenty for watering and fertilizing at this time. Make sure the pot the plants are in has drainage holes. In the beginning just scatter about a tablespoon of the blood meal around the base of the plant and water it in with the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As soon as the leaves turn a healthy green stop with the blood meal. Continue with the fish emulsion @ 1/2 the recommended rate until you see rapid growth and then switch to full strength. Once a week is probably plenty for watering and fertilizing at this time. Make sure the pot the plants are in has drainage holes. In the beginning just scatter about a tablespoon of the blood meal around the base of the plant and water it in with the fish.
Thank you! I’ll post an update in a couple of weeks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if you use tap water that's alkaline it will raise the pH locking out iron and causing the plant to turn yellow. Use rainwater or Reverse Osmosis water. If you are using a new potting soil all the nutrients will be there and no need to fertilize for six months. .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if you use tap water that's alkaline it will raise the pH locking out iron and causing the plant to turn yellow. Use rainwater or Reverse Osmosis water. If you are using a new potting soil all the nutrients will be there and no need to fertilize for six months. .
Hello,

I’ve been using mostly distilled water. I’ve only used tap water a couple of times when fertilized them with the fish fertilizer. Would that be enough to turn the soil alkaline? I bought a couple of soil moisture meters that also measure ph, but they don’t arrive until tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot to ask. What should I do about providing them with light? It’s been partially sunny yesterday and today with temperatures reaching 75 Fahrenheit. I left them in full sunlight yesterday (clouds cleared for about 4 hours) and today I have them in partial shade. Should I continue to have them outside in the sun, should I bring them inside and place them under my grow-lights, or should I let them rest in the shade?

Sorry, about all the questions, I’ve never raised plants before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I forgot to ask. What should I do about providing them with light? It’s been partially sunny yesterday and today with temperatures reaching 75 Fahrenheit. I left them in full sunlight yesterday (clouds cleared for about 4 hours) and today I have them in partial shade. Should I continue to have them outside in the sun, should I bring them inside and place them under my grow-lights, or should I let them rest in the shade?

Sorry, about all the questions, I’ve never raised plants before.
Put them in morning sun and afternoon shade for about a week and see how they look then

Reaction score
Country
United States
The meters came in early. The one in the blue container is reading pH 8 and the one in the green container is reading borderline ph 7

Attachments

• IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Watered them both with distilled drinking water and tested the blue one’s pH in a different spot.

Attachments

• IMG_9280.jpeg
    IMG_9280.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9281.jpeg
    IMG_9281.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9282.jpeg
    IMG_9282.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And I will bet that if you go back to an identical spot the readings will change. I have NEVER seen any of those things that are accurate. Is that a commercial potting soil. Potting soils are designed to be slightly acidic to neutral. Tap water is rarely over 7.8. The yellowing is NOT from a high Ph problem but IF it is it is from using a Miracle Grow Product. In any case, my advice will alleviate the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
And I will bet that if you go back to an identical spot the readings will change. I have NEVER seen any of those things that are accurate. Is that a commercial potting soil. Potting soils are designed to be slightly acidic to neutral. Tap water is rarely over 7.8. The yellowing is NOT from a high Ph problem but IF it is it is from using a Miracle Grow Product. In any case, my advice will alleviate the problem.

Thanks Chuck, I’ll keep following your advice and posting updates. I’m just scrambling because I don’t want my trees to die. I appreciate all your replies and help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Placed the trees outside after I got home from my shift last night. Went to check on them after I woke up from a nap because I wanted to start applying the blood meal that was delivered today and I noticed a handful of fungal gnats walking around the soil of each pot. Should I be concerned about gnat larva damaging the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Placed the trees outside after I got home from my shift last night. Went to check on them after I woke up from a nap because I wanted to start applying the blood meal that was delivered today and I noticed a handful of fungal gnats walking around the soil of each pot. Should I be concerned about gnat larva damaging the roots?
If you see fungus gnats the soil is too wet. Do not apply the blood meal until the soil has dried a little.

Ask a Question