Regular dirt for seedlings?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ran out of enough potting mix but haven’t started my marigolds yet. Can I create my own mix from dirt, some worm castings, and aged cow manure? Since I would be starting the marigolds froM seed directly in the ground if not inside, it seems that I could use the same dirt as the ground, inside. I want to do inside so they have a head start before transplanting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marigolds are very hardy and if you dig your ground over and rake it you can sow your seeds directly outside where you want them to flower. Keep them moist. It is best to sow in drills, so you can tell which new seedlings are weeds, and which are marigolds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but I always have to laugh. Dirt. Memories of childhood days. Mum. Wash that dirt from behind your ears. You could grow spuds there.

So sorry our cousins across the pond. We say soil. Nevermind.

Basically seeds require a degree of warmth and moisture to germinate. Soil,dirt or whatever is simply some kind of supporting medium. Recall the school days. Mustard and cress on blotting paper. THINK!.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite clear if you are starting seeds and then potting them on? The seed will contain enough nutrient to germinate, like Mike says remember growing seeds with paper in a jar(It was runner beans for me). The mix you describe sounds like marigold heaven to be potted on into, like Tetters says they are pretty tough.

Ask a Question