Do Petunias need regular pinching?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, I recently started growing petunias from seed, and I got great results this summer. Ive basically let them grow wild, and as you can see from the photos, I have several blooms, which im very happy about.
However apart from the flowers, they aren't exactly pleasing to the eye. They have grown out of control, and basically represent a chaotic mess. Because all the stems and branches are so long a small gust of wind causes them to lean over.
Is there a way to grow them more aesthetically attractive, say more bushy, shorter, stocky and rounder?
I was thinking I should regularly trim/pinch them to shape their growth a bit more about every 2 weeks. Thoughts?

20210113_175553.jpg
20210113_175608.jpg
20210113_175623.jpg
20210113_175659.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, you could pinch them out to start with but usually they don't get trimmed, they just grow like that. They do look good in the pics.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes I believe its too late in the season to pinch now.
I just want them looking a nice shape that you seen in all the google photos and TV shows :cool:

Ask a Question