Prune Cucumber Seedlings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started my cucumbers under grow lights. (too early)
They can't go out for at least another 3 weeks.
BUT they're producing flowers & fruit!
Should I prune them?
If so...how? What would I prune?

TIA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If they are already setting fruit I guess they are getting a fair size, reckon you could start looking for suckers to take off, side stems from the main vine.
Did you plant all your seeds at once? I usually plant a few early on the off chance of a really good Spring, then some more later. Just because you germinate plants doesn't mean you have to keep them, just keep the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cucurbits need a pollinator such as a bee or you and a paint brush. Are you sure they are producing fruit or are you seeing the female flower? If they are inside and aren't being pollinated, the female blooms will just die and fall off.

Cucumbers grow pretty quickly. I would just go ahead and start some more just in case those get out of hand. I just started mine about 5 days ago so you aren't as far behind as you might think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cucurbits need a pollinator such as a bee or you and a paint brush. Are you sure they are producing fruit or are you seeing the female flower? If they are inside and aren't being pollinated, the female blooms will just die and fall off.

Cucumbers grow pretty quickly. I would just go ahead and start some more just in case those get out of hand. I just started mine about 5 days ago so you aren't as far behind as you might think.
Actually, I planted the seeds on 3/16!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Take the suckers off & pot them as you would with tomato suckers you wanted to propagate.
The strike rate is lower.
Some cucumbers go bitter when pollinated, some, the types I grow, which are parthenocarpic, don't produce male flowers, so check before you pollinate.
I planted my seeds befor you, but mine are going into a greenhouse.

Ask a Question