How would you prune this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an Italian plum tree planted this Spring. It grew a couple of tall vertical branches over the summer (see pic).
How and when should I prune this tree?
Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• Image417081085545865199.jpg
    Image417081085545865199.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cut the long branches so that you remove about half of what they grew this summer, i.e. 3' from a 6' branch. Try to space scaffold branches 10-12" apart vertically and evenly around the trunk. The lowest branch should be 18" above soil level and the top branch should be no higher than 5' off the ground. This will make it easier to pick the fruit without a tall ladder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can get a good shape and make it easier to pick if you bend the branches down. They can either be pegged to the ground or you can hang a weight on them, I use two engineering bricks joined by a bit of blue lorry rope, I can move it about and the rope is thick enough it doesn't cut into the branch, the bricks are heavy even for bricks, and the holes make it easy to tie the rope.
I know on my quince they say doing this also helps fruit to set, i don't know if that applies to the plum.

Ask a Question