Cape Honeysuckle Hedge - Can you prune heavily/coppice to encourage new growth?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

I have a question about a large hedge of cape honeysuckle that I have in my backyard.

This last year the hedge has gotten very leggy and woody. All the growth and flowers are concentrated at the top of the stems, and if possible I'd like to restore the lush, bushy look that it I think once had (it's an old plant and I've only owned my home for the past two years).

I read somewhere that a hard pruning (within 6 inches of the base) can invigorate new growth on a Cape Honeysuckle, but I wasn't sure if this would work on wood material (i.e. would new shoots grow from the woody base/trunk of the previous growth if the original vines are cut back).

Does anyone here have experience pruning this plant? If so, I'd love to get your feedback on whether or not cutting/coppicing back on these old woody stems in the spring would work.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It absolutely would. You can cut anywhere from soil level on up and it will sprout new stems. They will try to grow as tall as it is now so you’ll have to pinch or cut them every 2 feet or so to keep it bushy. If you don’t it will become more vine-like than bush-like. Don’t be surprised if it takes a while to start blooming again.

Ask a Question