NEWBIE WITH .6 ACRES TO BE LANDSCAPED

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A year ago in preparation for my retirement I bought a bare lot of 0.6 acres of west facing walk on oceanfront in one of the southern gulf islands in British Columbia. I'll be building a house and studio on the property and landscaping extensively so have joined the forum to ask questions and receive advice in areas where I'll need it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome @Rustic :) I`m sure we all wish you well on your new project, and I would suggest you think about putting some photos on so we can see what you will be up to ...... we like pictures!
Retired gardeners can never figure out how they ever had time to go to work you know ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, Tetters. I've attached a panorama shot of the roadside view where the hedge will go and a shot oceanside. I've noted the location of the hedge, at the top of the bank. From the second shot you can see that the site has been cleared and I've installed the septic system. The path to the left leads down to the cove and walk on beach.

Roadside hedge.jpg
IMG_20210301_094722674.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor - that is lovely, and what a lot to do. I reckon you are going to love every minute of this project. Where will you live while the building is going on ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Rustic. :) That's a beautiful area, so I'm told by my daughter, who visits Vancouver Island regularly. The best of luck with the build and we hope you'll keep us posted along the way.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a suite at a friend's house twenty minutes away from my lot but have also bought a 25' Airstream that I have spent the past few months refitting inside. That will provide comfortable accommodation for me while I build. I'll be building a small studio first which I'll occupy as a residence whilst I build the main house. Yes, lots to do but the excavator will help take some of the backbreaking work out of it. It has a thumb, useful for building rock walls and the like.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks, Sheal. I'm originally from Aberdeen, moved to Salt Spring Island with my daughter in 2003. I had an eleven acre farm on the water on the north east of the island, maintenance of which was taking its toll on my old bones so sold it a year ago and bought this small lot. My last major project, probably.

Reaction score
Country
France
How absolutely exciting @Rustic get comfortable accommodation, however small, as long as you have a place to feel at 'home' then you can then put our mind and soul to your plans...await your postings....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, Sheal. I'm originally from Aberdeen, moved to Salt Spring Island with my daughter in 2003. I had an eleven acre farm on the water on the north east of the island, maintenance of which was taking its toll on my old bones so sold it a year ago and bought this small lot. My last major project, probably.

I don't suppose for one minute you make comparisons between the two. :D I'm English and moved here to the Highlands 4 1/2 years ago and love it!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If the thatched cottage in your avatar is yours, it looks like a pretty sweet dwelling.

Ask a Question