Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes
Posted on June 16, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes/HTML/ 16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes, hard neck, are ready to harvest. I cut about 30 for comparison purposes, since I do not eat them.I let the garlic mature with the scapes on. I have found the bulbs get larger and keep as well as the typical harvest time in mid July. I choose some large bulbils for net years production. I store about 100 bulbs in an open container in the cold room and the bulbs keep well for about 7 months before sprouting. This method is contrary to Internet dogma, but I chose this method by experimenting and observation.
dsc_0001_std.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, picked up 5 bunches from my Amish market. Cut them up, put them in my food processor with little oil and chopped them. they are in a freezer container now, where I can cut cubes out later and use in whatever.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last night was making some tomato gravy for my pasta, and tossed in the last cube of one I froze up last year, easy as could be. it was about 3 inches by 3 inches, already chopped, thaws in the sauce as it is cooking. Can use in any other things you want garlic flavoring in there. Yes, I also have regular garlic cloves. And recently was able to get some black garlic from my herb place, yummy.

Ask a Question