Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes
Posted on June 16, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes/HTML/ 16 June 2021 Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes, hard neck, are ready to harvest. I cut about 30 for comparison purposes, since I do not eat them.I let the garlic mature with the scapes on. I have found the bulbs get larger and keep as well as the typical harvest time in mid July. I choose some large bulbils for net years production. I store about 100 bulbs in an open container in the cold room and the bulbs keep well for about 7 months before sprouting. This method is contrary to Internet dogma, but I chose this method by experimenting and observation.
dsc_0001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, picked up 5 bunches from my Amish market. Cut them up, put them in my food processor with little oil and chopped them. they are in a freezer container now, where I can cut cubes out later and use in whatever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last night was making some tomato gravy for my pasta, and tossed in the last cube of one I froze up last year, easy as could be. it was about 3 inches by 3 inches, already chopped, thaws in the sauce as it is cooking. Can use in any other things you want garlic flavoring in there. Yes, I also have regular garlic cloves. And recently was able to get some black garlic from my herb place, yummy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Got to my Amish Market that sells Garlic Scapes, picke up 3 huge bundles, food processor and put in shallow containers to freeze. Next day took out and wrapped well in plastic and then freezer bags, Now good to go for the year plenty of garlic flavor to use if I need and so easy.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sadly, the softneck which I have to grow in my Texas climate doesn't yield scapes...but does produce some wonderful garlic.

Ask a Question