Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
8 June 2021 Supporting Tomato Plants
Posted on June 8, 2021 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/8 June 2021 Supporting Tomato Plants/HTML/ 8 June 2021 Supporting Tomato Plants
There are 21 tomato plants. They are supported by a 8 foot rebar structure held together with tie wraps. The first sisal string was installed to support the main stem. Other strings are supplied as required to support fruit bearing arms. Suckers are not removed unless crowding. The plant is free growing.
dsc_0004_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Jim. Planted so close together, and hands off approach to suckers, how crowded does your garden get? Any issue with air flow?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Not too close in my experience. I can control the sucker bit. There is a lot of space between the rows.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I can't find the varieties. Black Krim, Lemon Boy three of each, and typical common types. I make Slurry/Juice. This year I bought the plants. There are usually three of each type. I am not fussy. They all make good juice. Good looking ones I use for table slicing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I would think you would grow your own as deep as you are into preserving

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I often grow my own, but this year was cold. My greenhouse gas heater quit and I didn't buy a new one in time.
There are several good suppliers of plants and the cost is not prohibitive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Rebar huh? I became a big fan of 1/2" EMT electrical conduit. Never thought of rebar. I like it. Now I use Eye-bolts in the overhang edge of my garage roof for the top end of the cord.

Ask a Question