Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
9 June 2021 Mulching Tomato Plants
Posted on June 9, 2021 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2021/June 2021/9 June 2021 Mulching Tomato Plants/HTML/
9 June 2021 Mulching Tomato Plants
The tomato plants 21 were mulched with wood chip mulch to retain moisture. About a yard seven wheelbarrow loads were used. After applying the much the plants were watered with city water. It is an extremely hot day here. Threatening to rain, it is sorely needed.
dsc_0004_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
random ? does the mulch break down over the winter as in can you rototill it into the soil?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I purchase one or two year chips which have been composted a bit. They almost completely disappear rototilled in the Spring. Even small fresh chips are almost gone but should be avoided. I experimented for a couple of years, now feel quite confident in using them.

I tried straw but it matted and was a misery. Also it moved considerably. Chips are small and heavy enough to stay in place.
I only started using mulch about seven years ago, Now I wouldn't garden without them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I purchase one or two year chips which have been composted a bit. They almost completely disappear rototilled in the Spring. Even small fresh chips are almost gone but should be avoided. I experimented for a couple of years, now feel quite confident in using them.

I tried straw but it matted and was a misery. Also it moved considerably. Chips are small and heavy enough to stay in place.
I only started using mulch about seven years ago, Now I wouldn't garden without them.
heard thanks. I have never used mulch with tomatoes in garden. I am always around to water if needed. this year I will be away for weeks at a time in July and August will probs mulch to safe water. have a neighbor near buy to water if needed.

Ask a Question