Canada
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
random ? does the mulch break down over the winter as in can you rototill it into the soil?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I purchase one or two year chips which have been composted a bit. They almost completely disappear rototilled in the Spring. Even small fresh chips are almost gone but should be avoided. I experimented for a couple of years, now feel quite confident in using them.

I tried straw but it matted and was a misery. Also it moved considerably. Chips are small and heavy enough to stay in place.
I only started using mulch about seven years ago, Now I wouldn't garden without them.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I purchase one or two year chips which have been composted a bit. They almost completely disappear rototilled in the Spring. Even small fresh chips are almost gone but should be avoided. I experimented for a couple of years, now feel quite confident in using them.

I tried straw but it matted and was a misery. Also it moved considerably. Chips are small and heavy enough to stay in place.
I only started using mulch about seven years ago, Now I wouldn't garden without them.
heard thanks. I have never used mulch with tomatoes in garden. I am always around to water if needed. this year I will be away for weeks at a time in July and August will probs mulch to safe water. have a neighbor near buy to water if needed.

Ask a Question